Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, i play with vandoren java green 2.5. I took the american cut 2.25, but I found them a bit light. I would like to take 2.5, but I don't want them to be too hard like 3. Does anyone have experience with this? I don't really trust tables. thank you.

· Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
532 Posts
I know that a 1/4 step can make a significant difference. I like a 2.25 signature on my Link NY 6 but I find the 2.5 to be too tiring to play. The nice thing is Legere will sent you a different size if you're not happy, I've done it a few times.

· Registered
6,004 Posts
hi, i play with vandoren java verdi 2.5. I took the american cut 2.25, but I found them a bit light. I would like to take 2.5, but I don't want them to be too hard like 3. Does anyone have experience with this?
I don't mean to be flippant, but does it matter? If 2.25 is not strong enough, the next step up is 2.5. You have no choice, if you'd like to continue working with this model of reed. Certainly you're better off with a 2.5 than a 2.75 if you're worried that it might be too hard. The bottom line here is that you'll never know unless you try one personally. For me, it's just not a viable strategy to say, "I liked the AC but never tried a 2.5 because someone on SOTW thought it was a little too hard for him."

· Registered
850 Posts
The Legere strength table is not accurate. I have several Legere on both American cut and Signature for alto and tenor. The strength feel significantly softer than the strength shown on the table. You may try the AC 2.5 because the strength jump from 2.25 to 2.5 is quite noticeable.

If the AC 2.5 is a little bit hard, then dip it into hot water for like 10 seconds and it will feel softer (it will feels like between 2.25 and 2.5)

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[
I don't mean to be flippant, but does it matter? If 2.25 is not strong enough, the next step up is 2.5. You have no choice, if you'd like to continue working with this model of reed. Certainly you're better off with a 2.5 than a 2.75 if you're worried that it might be too hard. The bottom line here is that you'll never know unless you try one personally. For me, it's just not a viable strategy to say, "I liked the AC but never tried a 2.5 because someone on SOTW thought it was a little too hard for him."
yes right, but I speak at the level of real hardness. . if anyone using java 2.5 found the ac 2.5s the same or too hard.

· Registered
Alto YAS-32f and Tenor Selmer Axos
42 Posts
I've been starting over sax practicing a week ago, so that's quite recent.. I went for two reeds. A basic Vandoren strength 2 and a Legere Signature 2.25.. I can't feel no difference when it comes to compare strength.
Back then, when I've begun on an alto, synthetic reeds were not that common. I have to admit they're pretty convincing to my ears.. I might give a shot to a 2.5 later on..

· Premium Member
92 Posts
I would like to take 2.5, but I don't want them to be too hard
A trick that I leaned about for Legere reeds that are too hard - you can soften them. Dip the reed in boiling water (obviously the reed only - not on your mouthpiece) for a very short time (1 second), let it cool and try the reed. This has worked for me a few times that I have need to soften one.

Here is a good description:

· Premium Member
Alto and Tenor, prefer Martins Began playing March 2022
357 Posts
I have the 2.0 in tenor and tried the 2.75 and it is very hard. I have stuck with it for partial practice times to try to build up. Just a guess but if you find the 2.25 too soft then the 2.75 will probably be the better choice.

· Registered
324 Posts
The American Cut reeds have a unique feel to me. They feel hard in the heart and soft at the tip. Lots of backbone but business end seems oddly floppy.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried the 2.5 and luckily it's only a bit harder than the 2.25 so for me playable. I can't play it with an 8 mouthpiece, but with 7 and 7 stars yes. So from my experience those who play 3 should take a 2.75 and those who play 2.5 should take a 2.25 the 2.50 is a bit of a middle ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts