Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Legere American Cut reeds will now be available for both soprano and baritone saxophone. I've been waiting for this but I probably have a few hundred dollars of reeds already purchased to work my way through. But I'll probably buy one of each right away. Hopefully these are as good on sop/bari as they are on alto/tenor. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available online just yet.
Product Wood Font Rectangle Flooring

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,459 Posts
What will be the difference between this one and the Signature ones?
I really like the Signature models on soprano,but i can t play Signature on tenor..does nt work for me.
All the best
Saxobari

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will be the difference between this one and the Signature ones?
I really like the Signature models on soprano,but i can t play Signature on tenor..does nt work for me.
All the best
Saxobari
I think they are just going to give a fatter, more complex sound and better response. The same as for tenor and alto. I've been using a European Cut clarinet reed on soprano for the past year which seems to me to sound similar to the American Cut. Of course if you prefer a more focused sound then you'll probably want to stick with the signature reeds. For me the Signature sounds harsh or brittle on the soprano on some mouthpieces. Less so for the bari, but I'll be curious to hear what the AC reeds bring to the low end.

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
152 Posts
I guess I’m a gambling man, because I’d rather the unpredictable but regular 8 or 9 out of 10 cane reed over the reliable <6 out of 10 plastic offers.

Life is too short for synthetic reeds… and this is from someone who spent 10+ years on synthetics.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've been playing the AC on tenor, I noticed when I first received it that it had the width of a baritone sax reed. I contacted Legere and they said that the baritone sax cut on the tenor reed gave it the additional power that the reed has. I've used the AC reed since early Summer on all of my shows, it's a bright reed with an excellent response. I have backordered an AC baritone sax reed from WWBW, we'll see how long it takes to receive it.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I’m a gambling man, because I’d rather the unpredictable but regular 8 or 9 out of 10 cane reed over the reliable <6 out of 10 plastic offers.

Life is too short for synthetic reeds… and this is from someone who spent 10+ years on synthetics.
Exactly, that’s why I prefer the exceptional 99 out of 100 Legere reed over the 3-4 out of 10 of the much inferior cane reeds. Nothing plays like good plastic.

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
152 Posts
Exactly, that’s why I prefer the exceptional 99 out of 100 Legere reed over the 3-4 out of 10 of the much inferior cane reeds. Nothing plays like good plastic.
It’s great that you’ve found what works for you.

I find the journey as rewarding as the outcomes.

·
8,693 Posts
It’s great that you’ve found what works for you.

I find the journey as rewarding as the outcomes.
My journey always ends with me coming home to cane.
I had a nice long journey with Fibracell on baritone, but they ruined that one for me.
Legere have never impressed me, but I may one day try the new cut, even if just to remind me that I’m not a plastics man.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My journey always ends with me coming home to cane.
I had a nice long journey with Fibracell on baritone, but they ruined that one for me.
Legere have never impressed me, but I may one day try the new cut, even if just to remind me that I’m not a plastics man.
For the most part I play pretty standard mouthpieces, but I have to admit my tip openings are more closed than many players use, but I would guess close to average. Perhaps with the exception of baritone where I might typically play a bit more closed (although I've been recently experimenting with a Vandoren V16 B5). I'll admit that perhaps Legere reeds sound different as the vibrational arc is increased, but in the meager differences in the mouthpieces I play I haven't noticed a difference that I would negatively attribute to the Legere reeds sound or performance. There was a time when I would also admit that the very best of cane reeds perhaps sounded a bit better, but I proved myself wrong at least on baritone sax when I went on a fairly encompassing hunt for a cane reed that sounded and performed better than the Legere to my ears. I didn't find any from the following brands: BSS, Blue Box, V12, V21, Red Java, Select Jazz, Reserves, La Voz and Heimke. I tested these reeds on both a Selmer S80 C** and a Jody Jazz HR* 6. While I found a significant variation of performance of the reeds (even in the same brand although some were more consistent than others) I felt like all of them were inferior to the Legere Signatures I had already been using. So, I'm not going to continue to waste $$$ in search of better playing cane reeds. Legere is it. It's why I say, "nothing plays like good plastic!" The consistency between Legere reeds is remarkable and they last a long time. So in the end I'm happy to say that I hope everyone is playing the reed they think they sound the best on. But if anyone ever asks for a recommendation it will always be Legere for me. If Legere could be improved it wouldn't be in sound or response although they are welcome to try, but I would love it if they were biodegradable and they stamped the hardness information on the reed instead of silk screening it. I'm not asking for much, but it is the Christmas season after all. 😀

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think they are just going to give a fatter, more complex sound and better response. The same as for tenor and alto. I've been using a European Cut clarinet reed on soprano for the past year which seems to me to sound similar to the American Cut. Of course if you prefer a more focused sound then you'll probably want to stick with the signature reeds. For me the Signature sounds harsh or brittle on the soprano on some mouthpieces. Less so for the bari, but I'll be curious to hear what the AC reeds bring to the low end.
It's funny how people have such different perceptions. I've been playing Signatures for a couple of years now, just on tenor and alto. (Still cane for clarinet and soprano). I bought an AC to try it, and found it hard blowing and a little buzzy on the tenor. I do think that cane sounds a little better overall, right across the board, but those Legeres are really convenient and consistent.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's funny how people have such different perceptions. I've been playing Signatures for a couple of years now, just on tenor and alto. (Still cane for clarinet and soprano). I bought an AC to try it, and found it hard blowing and a little buzzy on the tenor. I do think that cane sounds a little better overall, right across the board, but those Legeres are really convenient and consistent.
I think you are in a minority when it comes to the AC. I’ve heard a couple of others say the same thing, but I think most feel the AC is more responsive than the signature. I actually think the ACs run a quarter strength softer than the Signatures. It is definitely buzzier though. On that we can agree. However, I find it easy to control which results in a richer or fatter sound. But I think others like the extra buzz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,957 Posts
I did a short test of the AC soprano reed yesterday. Quite surprisingly I found the sound much darker than I expected, and I must say this is the first Legere soprano reed that I actually got to sound good. I never had much luck with the other models on sop. Response is very even and immediate, and the reed plays quite loud, also with subtone. It took a bit of effort to shape the sound to my liking; the reed seems to want to sound very neutral. But I don't play a lot of soprano so maybe that's why. Anyway, I like it, so I'm keeping it.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone who would like to save $5 USD off a reed from Legere PM me here and I’ll give you a referral link. You may be able to find the reeds even cheaper elsewhere but if not let me know. This will help me pay for my next reed as well.

·
5,051 Posts
I did a short test of the AC soprano reed yesterday. Quite surprisingly I found the sound much darker than I expected, and I must say this is the first Legere soprano reed that I actually got to sound good. I never had much luck with the other models on sop. Response is very even and immediate, and the reed plays quite loud, also with subtone. It took a bit of effort to shape the sound to my liking; the reed seems to want to sound very neutral. But I don't play a lot of soprano so maybe that's why. Anyway, I like it, so I'm keeping it.
How do these compare strength-wise to like a Vandoren Red Java?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I received my baritone AC reed yesterday, it was a #2 strength. It's too resistant on my .115 mouthpiece. I tried it on a Selmer S-80 C* that was in my drawer and it worked with that. The 2 is the lowest strength grade of the AC, to me it plays like 3.5. I'm not happy about this.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I received my baritone AC reed yesterday, it was a #2 strength. It's too resistant on my .115 mouthpiece. I tried it on a Selmer S-80 C* that was in my drawer and it worked with that. The 2 is the lowest strength grade of the AC, to me it plays like 3.5. I'm not happy about this.
Assuming you still have your original receipt you can exchange the reed for strength. While I find them to be very consistent, occasionally one slips by QC that just isn't right. Or you can also exchange for a different cut.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts