Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to Legere studio cut sometime back for live work on Tenor and Alto and put 4 in rotation. Now (after heay use) they are suddenly all falling apart at about the same time and I need more. Should I switch to the new signature series reeds? I'm playing a 2.25 Studio cut - If I switch, what strength should I get? My live work is pretty much overblown and loud, bendy, bluesy stuff. I ocassionally get the chance to be dynamic and subtle but not often...

Thanks in advance for the advice...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have about 10 Legeres that I use for different things. I'm a bit of a mouthpiece tramp. The Studio reeds play a little brighter than the Signatures (for me anyway). I'd go down a .25 strength, but that's what works for me. Last night I tried a 2 Signature vs a 2 studio on a Jumbo Java .135. The Studio was edgy, the Signature stuffy. However, the Signature played great on a .120 slant style piece.
rr

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I have no experience with the Studio reeds, but I can recommend the Signature. I have been playing standard Légères for years, and the Signature is definitely a better reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I cut down a quarter strength when moving from Studio Cuts to Signatures but going from 3 to 2¾ might not be the same as moving from 2¼ to 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts