Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legere reed popping D harmonic

I recently switched to a Legere Signature 2 1/4 reed for tenor, and I like the full sound it's giving me and the convenience of synthetic; however, I'm having an issue wherein I'm popping out a D harmonic most of the time when I try to play G in the second octave. Any suggestions? I'm considering going up in reed strength to see if that helps the issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Re: Legere reed popping D harmonic

I recently switched to a Legere Signature 2 1/4 reed for tenor, and I like the full sound it's giving me and the convenience of synthetic; however, I'm having an issue wherein I'm popping out a D harmonic most of the time when I try to play G in the second octave. Any suggestions? I'm considering going up in reed strength to see if that helps the issue.
What mouthpiece and tip opening are you playing on? It does sound like it might be too soft, unless you're playing a bigger tip

·
Registered
880 Posts
While I haven't had this particular problem, I have noticed that Legere reeds (both Signature and Classic) tend to emphasize the upper partials.

The downside of this is that I feel like my tone is not as full and fat on Legere's as on cane reeds, but the upside is that Legeres make altissimo fuller-sounding and easier to play on every horn that I've tried them on.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Is the Legere reed the only reed you have this issue with? My gut says get your octave mechanism checked. The way the G keys interact with your octave mechanism on the 2nd register can sometimes cause these issues. Take your horn to a local tech and see if he can isolate the issue.

Ive used Legere Signatures on tenor for over 5 years now, and haven't experienced this particular issue.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's happening on both my main and backup horns, and it doesn't happen with cane reeds, so I have to think it's the Legere.

·
4,578 Posts
It's happening on both my main and backup horns, and it doesn't happen with cane reeds, so I have to think it's the Legere.
Is it when you're playing full volume only or at all levels? Like if I imagine it happening, it would seem to me that it would happen by overblowing the harmonic... generally speaking just how easy to blow is this reed? Is it like immediate response or is there a tiny bit of resistance or ?

It still sounds like it's too soft, to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's happening at normal volume, like mf-f. The reed is free-blowing, zero resistance. I'm going to try the exchange program for a 2.5 or 2.75 and see how that works.

·
4,578 Posts
It's happening at normal volume, like mf-f. The reed is free-blowing, zero resistance. I'm going to try the exchange program for a 2.5 or 2.75 and see how that works.
Maybe just go up to the 2.5 I have a 2.5 and a 2.75 Signature and there's enough of a difference between the two that I notice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe just go up to the 2.5 I have a 2.5 and a 2.75 Signature and there's enough of a difference between the two that I notice.
I'll give that a shot, thanks. Anyone know what the usual turnaround time is for their reed exchange?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll give that a shot, thanks. Anyone know what the usual turnaround time is for their reed exchange?
Hi there! The exchange of strength process takes varying lengths of time depending on where the reed is coming from and heading back to. Turnaround is usually about 2 weeks though for most of the US, about the same for much of Europe, depending on where you are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Legere reed popping D harmonic

To me it sounds like you might just want to bump the strength up slightly. If you are only getting it when you switch to synthetic, then your best bet is to try a few different strengths. I use a leger 3 and haven’t had any problem with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just purchased a Vandoren TL5 (80 or 85 tip opening) and am using a Legere Sig 2.75 on it. It is giving me some trouble with the G. Do not have the problem with same reed on my MCGregory 20M (95 tip opening). I also suspect you just need a slightly stiffer reed.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
This doesn't seems quite right to me - a reed is a reed. Sure it can have a sort doifeernt response generally at didffent parts of the range, e.g low notes can be harder, easier, but you don't get a difference on one specific note.

That would be due to the player of the horn and a D harmonic instead of G is an obvious candidate for exactly this. It could be that the reed is somehow more sensitive and so the horn leak or player issue is amplified, but I'd bet good money it isn't actually caused by the reed itself.

Disclaimer - I am a Legere endorser so you may well think my opinion is biased.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts