Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at Drake and RS Berkeley have done it again...

Amazingly, the second release in the "Legends Series" will be Charlie Parker's iconic white alto mouthpiece. Les Silver at RS Berkeley received the original mouthpiece from Bird's daughter, Kim Parker. I know Les on a personal level, and his enthusiasm for this project is inspiring and refreshing. I can't imagine what he went through to make this happen, but I know it's been a long time in the works.

The Charlie Parker Legends Series mouthpiece is an exact replica of the one Bird owned and recorded with extensively.

The mouthpieces are handmade in the USA by Drake and combine state of the art technology with hand finishing tradition to create a precision reproduction of Bird's original mouthpiece. Drake mouthpieces are known for their accuracy, response, pitch stability, and projection. The first mouthpiece in this series, based on Stan Getz's, was an overwhelming success and received positive reviews across the board.

These will be available from Tenor Madness in 4* (Bird's original tip opening), 5*, and 6* on or around April 15.

There you have it - no more excuses not to sound like Bird!

Some other mouthpieces in the pipeline - Johnny Griffin, Benny Carter, Frank Foster... More information on the way soon

View attachment 26689

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
That is really very cool. Do you know what the retail will be on those? B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Can you say hotcakes?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,797 Posts
I talked to Les about these Parker mouthpiece for awhile on the phone about a month ago. He was so excited. He just got back from Charlie Parkers daughters house and was telling me the story. Opening the sax case and seeing Birds sax and mouthpiece. There were even used reeds in there that he had used. He is very excited about this project and Les is such a nice guy. I'm very curious about where this goes and what mouthpieces he will get in the future. I'd be very interested in trying a copy of Cannonballs mouthpiece!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
they should make a copy of gerry mulligan's mouthpiece, that one is pretty unique

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
What's it made of? The material?
I asked this question about the Getz model but I never got an answer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple quick answers.

1. This mouthpiece will go for $489.

2. As for what's it's made of, I will ask. With the Getz piece, it was a composite of sorts, though I can't get more specific than that (I literally don't know). So I don't believe this will be hard rubber, but rather some kind of composite.

3. Bird's original mouthpiece was a... Well, I know, but part of the fun is guessing! I'm sure there are many others here who know the answer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Damn it, now I have GAS.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Brilhardt or Runyon?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
My guess would be they're made of Drake's "vintage resin" compound ( i.e. plastic :twisted: )

Next in the series : reproduction of Trane's mouthpiece. Then both Drake and Berkeley can retire. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I would think it is a copy of his Brilhart Streamline.
Well, it would surprise me - he played that (at least as photos show us) early in his career. Given Parkers famed pawning, changing, borrowing of horns it seems hard too believe that mouthpiece was still in the case. It would at least shed a different light on that story.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Brilhardt or Runyon?
According to Paul Coats, Parker for quite a while played on a white Runyon 22 given to him by Santy.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts