Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I placed the order Saturday over the internet, Bob set it up Sunday, shipped it Monday and I received it next day - today (Tuesday) by DHL... that's pretty amazing delivery speed. Free DHL shipping was in with the price of $849 - there was no import duties to pay.

The sax came complete with a gorgeous hard case (snake skin effect), reeds, grease, padded neckstrap and a mouthpiece.

This is the first time I've ever owned or played a sax. I've recently read some beginners books and watched a couple of instructional DVD's...

I put the sax together and started playing a scale - no problems - it has a beautiful tone - easy to play - but I don't know (yet) what notes I'm playing.

I played for about 30 mins - no squeaks - real nice - love it!!! My bottom lip feels a little numb - so I'll take it easy for now. I ordered a JodyJazz HR mouthpiece - should have it in a few days. If this Legend sax sounds so good with it's cheap plastic mouthpiece - I guess the JodyJazz will be really great!

The sax looks, feels and sounds like quality - they call it the Designer Series VI (a copy of Selmer VI ?)

I have a Peterson strobe tuner here so I'll be checking the intonation later and I'll post the results here.

I'm very happy that I'm getting some really great sounds from it even in my first few minutes of play...

Link - www.legendsax.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
My Legend alto looks like it could be similar to the one in your photos. I like it so much I made it my primary for weekend warrior duties.

I'm not a pro, but I recorded a few tunes at home playing the Legend alto with CD background music. If interested, go here to listen to them.

This is a great looking alto and I like the way it plays. Bob Campbell is one of the most accommodating sellers you'll have the pleasure of meeting, and reminds me a lot of Dave Kessler and his customer-oriented approach to selling saxes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goodsax: Sounds great!

Funny how it gets here from China in a day - I'm sure it takes a little longer from Vegas :)

I hear good things about Kessler horns too... I'll be trying one soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats the Silver Plate Alto? - it's the same one I bought from him in June...... man I really love that horn. I play mine with a Claude Lakey 5*3.

·
Registered
652 Posts
nitrobaby said:
Thats the Silver Plate Alto? - it's the same one I bought from him in June...... man I really love that horn. I play mine with a Claude Lakey 5*3.
The pix don't look like Silver Plate to me. What are you referring to?

·
Registered
42 Posts
SIlver Plate

Conrado said:
The pix don't look like Silver Plate to me. What are you referring to?
It's the same sax as mine... notice the gold keys and the silver body? Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
What do these horns cost approximately? I'm intrigued.

·
3,156 Posts
I thought it was the black chrome body with gold keys, but now see where it could be silver. Mine looks like this
and

·
3,156 Posts
nitrobaby said:
Note that only one of those is the Designer IV series, the other is Designer III. The engraving on the Designer III of the bird looks fantastic, but the sax is missing the double arms on the bell and bow keys that you see on the Designer IV (Legend) Series horns. I'm not sure whether that makes much difference in the playing of the horn, since nearly all other altos I've seen have only one arm to the bell and bow keypad covers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
goodsax said:
Note that only one of those is the Designer IV series, the other is Designer III......
Under the Silver Alto he has two available to purchase, and the Bluebird there are three available, apparantly the only three ever made with the design....

I love the black nickel - it's the one I wanted to get but I didn't want to wait for it to be built. I'll get one sooner than later.

·
3,156 Posts
nitrobaby said:
Under the Silver Alto he has two available to purchase, and the Bluebird there are three available, apparantly the only three ever made with the design....

I love the black nickel - it's the one I wanted to get but I didn't want to wait for it to be built. I'll get one sooner than later.
You're right. I missed the quantities available.

Waiting for a custom order can be up to about 3 months according to Bob. He is super busy trying to keep orders filled and the factory is working on back orders. I was lucky in finding my black chrome beauty. It was rejected by the original buyer because they wanted a different finish and I picked it up on the rebound.

It looks much better in person than in the photos.

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, mine is Jet Black with no engraving...

I'm really lovin' it!

Here's more detailed pics...

LEGEND - USA DESIGNED - "NEW YORK SOUND"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zaxroots said:
I have a Peterson strobe tuner here so I'll be checking the intonation later and I'll post the results here.
Okay guys - I checked my Legend alto with my Peterson VS-II strobe tuner (it measures to 1/1000th of a semitone) and the intonation is rock solid. It's basically bang on from top to bottom.

NICE!!!!! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts