Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I just did a very stupid thing, I left my sax' neck in water and bleach for too long ( 2 days) and now it's all dark green, the leather of the wee pad is gone and a bit of rust comes out from the inside of the neck. I feel very very stupid as this sax used to look great, it's a silver plated Selmer Series II.

Don't know what to do now really. I'd love to know what kind of metal is used on a neck like this ( alto series II silver plated selmer). I'm thinking of taking it to a jeweller to do another silver plating. Do you guys think it's a good idea ????

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, make sure that the silver plate has been ruined. Try polishing the neck and see if it shines up. If the silver plate has indeed been eaten away, Anderson Plating can probably make it look like new again.

Here's a link:

http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Hi there,
I just did a very stupid thing, I left my sax' neck in water and bleach for too long ( 2 days) and now it's all dark green, the leather of the wee pad is gone and a bit of rust comes out from the inside of the neck. I feel very very stupid as this sax used to look great, it's a silver plated Selmer Series II.

Don't know what to do now really. I'd love to know what kind of metal is used on a neck like this ( alto series II silver plated selmer). I'm thinking of taking it to a jeweller to do another silver plating. Do you guys think it's a good idea ????

Thanks.
Bring it in to sax.co.uk store in Denmark street and I'll have a look and at the very least change your pad for you.

Griff

·
5,528 Posts
Sorry,

I didn't notice you were in the UK. Here in the US, we just assume that everyone we come across also lives in the US. :bluewink:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry,

I didn't notice you were in the UK. Here in the US, we just assume that everyone we come across also lives in the US. :bluewink:
Yes - I can confirm there is life outside the US.

Happy to live in deepest, rural UK - but luckily with access to a great local Tech, who can get all the horn services I might ever need !

Blowhard2

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bring it in to sax.co.uk store in Denmark street and I'll have a look and at the very least change your pad for you.

Griff
That would have been the first thing to do If I was still in the Uk. Sax.co.uk was where I shopped when I was living in London, and I also got my sax repaired and checked a few times. Always left very satisfied :)

Now I think I will have to sort it myself as there's no music stores or sax repairers at all where I am right now. A jeweller is my only option. Do you think it's risky ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
That would have been the first thing to do If I was still in the Uk. Sax.co.uk was where I shopped when I was living in London, and I also got my sax repaired and checked a few times. Always left very satisfied :)

Now I think I will have to sort it myself as there's no music stores or sax repairers at all where I am right now. A jeweller is my only option. Do you think it's risky ?
Nah I'm pretty sure theyll be able to get it clean for you.

In future if you want to clean the insdie of your crook seal the end and the octave pip and put a cup of hot vinegar in there- half an hour later empty and rinse out thoroughly.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
This isn't nearly as bad as it may look. Worst case scenario you'll have to get the neck re-plated and since that will pretty much ruin it you can buy one of my horns but I'll sell you one at a discount, a half of a percent off. Phil Barone

Hi there,

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
No bleach, acetic acid (vinegar) only and stay with the process, don't go shopping etc... I use clear vinegar and then some distilled water to wash out any residue and then a wipe out with denatured alcohol to absorb any remaining H2O in bell OR neck interior...

·
5,528 Posts
This isn't nearly as bad as it may look. Worst case scenario you'll have to get the neck re-plated and since that will pretty much ruin it you can buy one of my horns but I'll sell you one at a discount, a half of a percent off. Phil Barone
I see that Barone has finally become a true Republican like me. Welcome to the dark side, Phil... :bluewink:

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
For heaven's sake, take off the octave key FIRST. It's about the simplest thing you can do on the horn, and it helps keep the rod from rusting out.
When you're done, blow the little tube out with a can of compressed air before putting the key back on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
When you lick your finger and wipe inside the tenon and have any gunk on it...

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
When you lick your finger and wipe inside the tenon and have any gunk on it...
Oh, and remember to lick your finger BEFORE you wipe inside the tenon...

(I'm having to do a LOT of public service announcements tonight!)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
You can avoid all of that by running a swab through it every time you use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can avoid all of that by running a swab through it every time you use it.
Agreed! I have never had a problem with a gunky or green neck (yuck) but I ALWAYS run a swab through not only my sax but the neck as well. It takes me longer to my sax away than the other players around me and makes me look like a slow poke but it's worth it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
in this, as in may others things in life, prevention is better than any cure! Swabbing you saxophone, neck, and mouthpieces, even only occasionally, prevents any need for doing this heavy cleaning at all (if you buy a vintage saxophone that hasn't been cleaned ever in its life that is a different thing) .

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
There are some platers in my area, but none specilizing in musical instruments. So a local sax player had a neck silver plated by a local plating company. It was excellent, one of the best I've seen. But it was funny that the tenon, spring and spring screw, key and everything really was plated with it. But it didn't cause any problems that weren't very easily fixed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts