Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, my ring finger/pinky on my left hand have been giving me trouble and only my left, my right is always okay. Whenever I play for relatively long periods of time, it starts to get hard to keep playing these, as it starts to get stiff, it's pretty hard to describe, but it gets to a point where I get a tingly feeling in my groin area and i have to stop. I can't be the ONLY person who has this issue, haha. could it be because i have double jointed fingers? Open to any exercises i can do or any recommendations you guys have. Thanks in advance, and don't make fun of me too hard lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts
If you are double-jointed, and your fingers are giving pain from playing, check your hand position to ensure your fingers are curled - as if gripping a tennis ball - when you play.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you wear a ring? The geometry of my S20 gives me the same issue, but removing my wedding ring helps.
(My wife said it was OK.)
Otherwise, it may be that ergos of your sax are not ergonomic for you. You could get a tech to customize it if you intend to hang on to it for awhile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,915 Posts
I'm not familiar with any hand issues that can impact the groin area. Are there any? If not, I would think that the issue may be with your neck strap putting pressure on a nerve in your neck, and causing issues on your left side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts