Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I’m certainly aware that there are tons of posts regarding alternate and altissimo fingerings, but I’m not seeing many options in there so here goes. FYI: I’m referring to the notes/ fingering on the horn(s) and not concert pitches:

Anyone have any LH-only fingerings for playing the high F# and G# entering the altissimo range for tenor and/ or alto? Been trial-and-erroring for a while with limited return. Of course I can lip them up, but I really don’t want to mess with that so close to the normal range of either instrument. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I keep a record of all the things I try that work, and I show a couple for F# that you might try:
1) xox|ooo (no front F key)
2) Same, but adding the bis Bb key.
Sorry but I can't help you out with the G#.

·
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep a record of all the things I try that work, and I show a couple for F# that you might try:
1) xox|ooo (no front F key)
2) Same, but adding the bis Bb key.
Sorry but I can't help you out with the G#.
Thanks! That’s one of the better ones I’ve figured out. Still a little squirrely though, as it wants to just be front F.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
My G# has always just been oxx|ooo with the octave key. I know a lot of people say this is a good fingering for A but I have never had it sound as an A. My A fingering is oxx|xxx so it's pretty easy to switch back and forth by just adding the keys in the right hand.

All my favorite most stable F# fingerings involve the right hand so I can't help you there. The easiest though I find is Front F and the C key in the left hand with the high F# key pressed in the right. Good trill from F to F# that one.

·
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My G# has always just been oxx|ooo with the octave key. I know a lot of people say this is a good fingering for A but I have never had it sound as an A. My A fingering is oxx|xxx so it's pretty easy to switch back and forth by just adding the keys in the right hand.
Thanks! That’s a slightly flat A for me...makes it easy to use RH 123 to pop back and forth between A and D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Yeah, it's an oddity for me. I play that and I get a really really easy split tone G#. If I try and make it not a split tone it ends up being a slightly sharp G# . Same fingering for the last 12 years or so.

I only recently learned about overblowing your C-C# and Palm Keys to get those lower notes. Apparently it's the better more fluid way to do these notes. I have to really consciously voice them. A lot more than the weird fingerings I've developed. But the path is chromatic just like when you play a fourth down (fifth up?) without over blowing them. I think it's a fifth. It's been a little while. Like I said it didn't come naturally to me like the way I'm used to doing it.

Which makes me think you could do it that way. But I'm kind of spacing on the exact notes right now without being able to play my horn.

·
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's an oddity for me. I play that and I get a really really easy split tone G#. If I try and make it not a split tone it ends up being a slightly sharp G# . Same fingering for the last 12 years or so.

I only recently learned about overblowing your C-C# and Palm Keys to get those lower notes. Apparently it's the better more fluid way to do these notes. I have to really consciously voice them. A lot more than the weird fingerings I've developed. But the path is chromatic just like when you play a fourth down (fifth up?) without over blowing them. I think it's a fifth. It's been a little while. Like I said it didn't come naturally to me like the way I'm used to doing it.

Which makes me think you could do it that way. But I'm kind of spacing on the exact notes right now without being able to play my horn.

I’m mostly trying to figure out the one-handed fingerings so I can use my right hand on effects and a synth and still have access to an octave and a half using Left only :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts