Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried posting but it seems to have disappeared...

So here's my situation. There is so much conflicting info on cases, both here and the wider web. So I'm going to ask a bit more specifically, and give the conflicting info I've found.

I am looking for a case for a Martin tenor with left hand bell keys. This is for travel, so contoured and the ability to carry-on my horn are important. Looking for a case with great protection for the horn. A secure carrying strap. Durable exterior. Some space for accessories (neck, mpc) but not too picky on that. I'm willing to push my budget to around $300, but can't do much more than that.

I've heard conflicting info on Gator, protec, SKB, and Bam cases. All have conflicting info on whether they can accommodate left hand bell keys.

Protec has mixed reviews on durability, specifically the fabric exterior degrading.

Gator and SKB have numerous reports of the case bring difficult to align when closing.

Bam has tons of different options, but don't detail the differences in cases very clearly and it's hard to discern a good value. I can't afford a 500 dollar case, are the 300 dollar ones that much better than the fat cheaper brands listed above?

HELP!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have my Buescher Big B Tenor (LH Bell Keys) in an SKB 450, which'll only run you around $150. It's a good fit for the Buescher, and I would imagine the Martin would have no problem fitting as well. It pretty much fits all of your requirements, the only caveat being you'll have to supply your own strap- it has hooks for it, though. I've had no issues with the case not aligning when closing. I suppose what people are talking about is that the space for the neck is close to the hinge of the case, so you have to be a little careful when closing it, I guess, but I've never had any issues. A lot of my friends who play horns with LH bell keys use the Pro-tec ProPac, though I'm not sure whether the Martin would require the regular or XL model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
Protec XL, works with most hand bell keys

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,331 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts