Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
leblanc noblet?

I have a 1920-1930 Noblet alto sax model 88 serial 12631, made in Paris aw-some sound fantastic engraving the original case says leblanc and the original bill of sale says G.Leblanc Wisconsin USA. I find the USA Paris lebanc combination a little confusing anybody shed any light?

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,226 Posts
Lomar Manx said:
Vito Pascucci told me about five years ago that Beaugenier, Yamaha i(n the 80's), Yanigasawa (bari and soprano only), and of course the Kenosha made horns. I think they outsource the baritone now from an Asian manufacturer. I'll see Dave Suber (Sales Manager and unoffical company historian) next week at the WSC and try to find out more.
Just a quick note that you can indeed find Yanagisawa-built Vito altos and tenors labelled "Vito VSP" in a triangle on the bell. At least until a few years ago the bari was still a Yani 901 stencil, I think it still is, but I don't keep up on that.

Someone else referred to the Asian Vitos as student models. While this may be true of the Yamaha and Taiwanese products, this doesn't include the Yanis, which are far beyond student level.

· Registered
76 Posts
About Vito Pascucci letter

saintsday said:
About that to see the exchange in:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=53895
Jazbrass: .../3 In 1927 Beaugnier joins Siour successor of Vault melts his company located 118 data bases Voltaire in Paris then with Mantes the City. For lack of a rigorous management in spite of a higher quality Beaugnier ceases its activity in 1967.
The factory is repurchased by Leblanc with the personnel and his production under its mark and its stencil key sets until 1973 will continue. Meanwhile Leblanc with open with Vito Pascucci a factory with Kenoska. Beaugnier is then associated Dolnet which takes it again personnel Lelanc and the French factory until 1986. Beaugnier will thus make sax under the marks Vito, Leblanc, Noblet, Martin and even some Yanagisawa without to count famous "the stencil key sets"
After its repurchase by Steinway in 2004, the loop is buckled Leblanc Inc. includes/understands maintaining the marks: Armstrong, Artley, Bach, Benge, Conn, King, Holton, Martin, Selmer the USA, Selmer Paris, Leblanc, Vito, Yanagisawa, PRIMA Sankyo, Scherl and Roth, Lewis, Glassel, Musser and Ludwig it is it that one calls the concentration capital intensive "World Company" /.....
and Pete Hales (Saxpics) answers:
You're copying and pasting SML info. Allow me to copy and paste more:

Citation:
Posté par www.saxpics.com/sml/history.htm
*SML starting producing saxophones around 1934, 1935, 1936 or 1937, depending on which documentation you use -- SML reports on their website that they were founded on January 12, 1935. Fred Cicetti quotes the date of 1934 in one of his articles and suggests later that saxophone production may have started in 1937.

* Officially, SML says they stopped manufacturing saxophones in 1981 (Fred Cicetti mentions 1982 -- and this is supported by Nora Post). The last SML-labelled horn seems to have been produced no later than s/n 265xx and there appears to have been only King Marigaux stencils available until after 265xx. I've received an e-mail from someone who insists he bought his 27xxx Marigaux new in 1986.

* SML produced, at their highest maximum, 400 horns a year, according to an SML spokesman. It's entirely probable that this spokesman was referring to production of the Gold Medal, because production needs to be considerably higher to make the serial number chart work. Remember: in approximately 20 years they went from s/n 1 to 15xxx.
I've got a few more things on my website, too.

Regarding Leblanc purchasing SML, I believe that's a misinterpretation of Vito Pascucci's comments from several years back: he admired the SML, but he had the Beaugnier facility. Check out http://www.geocities.com/harrir/saxophone/vito.html and the Beaugnier he's talking about that he wanted to reproduce is the Leblanc System horn. He's just equating it with being as good as SML (which is a matter of opinion).

Additionally, I think Mr. Pascucci confused his instruments: King was bought out by Seeburg and King sold the King Marigaux -- which was a stencil of the SML Gold Medal. I have not found any information anywhere that SML has, at any time, been bought out by a non-European company. Indeed, if you check the archives here, one of SML's product managers is violently opposed to the mere suggestion./ ......

· Registered
3 Posts
I just got a Vito "DUKE" to replace my horn from school days that was sold. It has a serial number 19373. It is in the case, blue and black tweed, and a real beauty !! It must have been owned by someone who really cared about it and played more that just for fun. There was a reed trimmer, several mouthpeices (one an Ebolin) and reeds. There was even two Chiron Vibrator reeds made in France.

I feel very lucky to have gotten it for less than $350.00.......and can't wait to give it a good cleaning and lookover so I can play it. I only see a little pad wear, a mark on the trill keys, and a few scratches around the neck chain area. Other than that it is very beautiful.

Any information or advise before I take it in to any old music store for a once-over would be appreciated.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,142 Posts
Welcome, Angel. There is no clear and reliable history of the Vito marque, however the best guess is that your sax was manufactured in France by the Beaugnier company. Does it say France anywhere on it? These can play very well and are clearly not student level instruments.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,142 Posts
Sounds like you may have a jewel. These are relatively unknown and undervalued. Good luck and let us know when you get it playing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.