Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always held the tenor (I play standing up without exception) so that it hangs on my right side with the bow just slightly to the rear of my front right pocket. This means that the neck is virtually always positioned so that the center seam on the back of the neck is to the left of the octave key mechanism lever as seen by the player. On my LeBlanc Rationale (ironic- its the most eccentric set up I know of) the horn winds up with the neck twisted significantly to the other direction and hitting the C# lefthand pinky key is almost impossible because of hand position. It appears that the horn is designed to be played directly in front of the player and held parallel to the players body. I find this well nigh undoable.

Is this probably the correct position for this sax and, if so, are there a significant number of SOTW denizens who hold their sax's straight ( or close to it) up in front of them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Do you also have a problem with blocking the G# from opening?

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front G# is fine of course. I have to be constantly aware of the side one or it does suffer from interference. Again- when held in front its fine- but held in what I've always thought was a normal position the side G# sometimes gets held shut or snags.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
These are quirky horns for sure, but if my tenor is typical, with a huge distinctive voice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
There is a small device called a Codera that attaches to the sax that allows the sax to be played front and center perfectly balanced to your center of gravity instead of you leaning into the saxophones center of gravity.

Go to www.codera.com click on Wind Instruments and Tools, then click Products then click ADDjust Balancer. It will show with photographs how it works.

I use a Codera with a Gemini Harness and can play as long as I want, and be relaxed playing front and center.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Adjustabalancer

How much does an adjustabalancer cost? This looks like sometihng that would work well on a 10M.

HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
I play it 'in front' some but when I start getting into it I always go to the side position and lean left. See the picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts