301 - 320 of 421 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All. I found this forum and thread yesterday after searching the web for value info on a Leblanc tenor I've had since the late 80's.

The serial number is 767. I bought it from a shop in LA on Larchmont Blvd. I traded in a Yamaha alto and paid some extra cash, I think about $200. As you can see from the pictures, it's a two-tone model. It has the name "John F Phillips" engraved on the inside of the bell. From some quick research it looks like he was a session player in LA back in the 60's/70's and played with Jimmy Smith among others.

I don't know much about it other than that. I, and my son, played it off and on over the years and it appears to be in decent shape. It's got some finish/lacquer issues but no significant damage that I can see. It plays, but I assume it needs a complete overhaul at this point. It does have a neck and a case, both original I think.

What do you think would be a fair price for this? I can post more pictures if it would help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,937 Posts
Very nice horn! But unfortunately they're not popular. Yours is special because of the finish, but even then they are not easy to sell despite being excellent instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Very nice horn! But unfortunately they're not popular. Yours is special because of the finish, but even then they are not easy to sell despite being excellent instruments.
I spent the morning early afternoon with an alto sax player going through my horn collection. He at the end couldn't decide if he liked my Johny Hodges Vito Alto... (look at saintsdays jaw dropping photos) or my Leblanc Model 100 Alto that is in equaly pristine condition. So if you are looking to sell, there is at least one person whom is going to be fighting the urge to buy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks again Fremont! My head is still reeling from your fabulous collection! You have some real gems there. What a fun way to spend the day. I think my wife was comforted to know that I'm not the only crazy Saxophone addict in our area. She humored me by listening to me ramble on and on about how much fun I had. I just couldn't shut up about your stable of horns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spent the morning early afternoon with an alto sax player going through my horn collection. He at the end couldn't decide if he liked my Johny Hodges Vito Alto... (look at saintsdays jaw dropping photos) or my Leblanc Model 100 Alto that is in equaly pristine condition. So if you are looking to sell, there is at least one person whom is going to be fighting the urge to buy.
Well, it's a tenor, but if you know anyone interested let me know. I drive through Fremont every other week. Thanks.

301 - 320 of 421 Posts