Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in what cool things the Leblanc Rationale (Steve Goodson's favorite sax!) can do, check out this fun video posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3MVYQASBs

This guy currently has one of these Rationales listed on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $2000. I'm guessing it will sell quickly!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Pretty nifty. The Junkdude has one, but I can't remember how much they want for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Cool video.
If you want one I can fix you up for a lot less than 2K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
wow, yes they should, that is when I am not buying! ;)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Actually the horn Dave at Junkdude has is a Leblanc System horn, not the full Rationale.

This is a simplified keywork mechanism system, unlike that found on the full Rationale model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
in he past, pricing on these horns(altos) has usually been from < $1000 to a bit more than $1000. The recent one on ebay that went for $2000 had been advertised there 2 or 3 times without trading hands. I think $2k or more is way too much for these. However, right now, the US$ is tanking against several foreign currencies, so until that situation clears up, Euro/UK people might be enticed into a little higher prices cuz they'd still be cheap to them.

I paid $1400 a few yrs ago for a cream puff and thought I was on the high side, but went ahead. Otoh, several yrs ago I picked up a silver alto out of Australia for US$350 :)

Most of 'em I've seen went for $700-900 or so, maybe topping out around $1000.

The recent ebay one was not a cream puff, despite the erroneous verbiage in the auction listing. And, is always worth remembering that one sale is not necessarily a trend.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Actually the horn Dave at Junkdude has is a Leblanc System horn, not the full Rationale.

This is a simplified keywork mechanism system, unlike that found on the full Rationale model.
Right. The System horn is a very different critter, much more "normal." I owned one years ago, and wish I had it back!:(

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
ThunderWhale said:
If anyone is interested in what cool things the Leblanc Rationale (Steve Goodson's favorite sax!) can do, check out this fun video posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3MVYQASBs

This guy currently has one of these Rationales listed on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $2000. I'm guessing it will sell quickly!
That's an interesting video. However, that horn does not look like an old Leblanc Rationale to me. He calls it a Vito Rationale, and makes a reference in his presentation to the "original Rationale." This looks to me more like a Vito version of the System horn, though I'm not at all sure about that.

Check out the original Leblanc Rationale on saxpix at http://saxpics.com/the_gallery/Leblanc/Rationale/Alto/Silver/Example1_saxnl/

It's a very distinctive-looking instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
It is a Vito with the Leblanc system fingerings and the Boehm tone hole placement. It does not have all of the mechanical adjustments that the Leblanc engraved horns do, but they were available with some pretty spiffy engraving that the Leblancs were not. Like this:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts