Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure about if they are still made, Though I read online somwhere that they have stopped production of the Paperclip. List was somewhere in 20,000 range list, but was available online cheaper from places like WWBW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
They have been selling from $800 to $3500 in the last few years. I think QuinnTheEskimo has one on eBay right now for around $2500. I bought mine from him and the tech found very little to tweak to get it where I like it. YMMV.

If I wanted a new one, I'd buy from Benedikt Eppelsheim.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't think LeBlanc makes Paperclips anymore, but I read somewhere they may bring it back due to popular demand.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think they should, not many can afford them, I purchased the Ridenour Contra, what I have heard is that he has put them into production to be available later this year.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good luck with the horn. I've always wanted one, but I rarely play Contra anymore so I can't justify buying one.

·
3,801 Posts
I decided to buy the Paperclip after seeing it. Bought by a gentlemen in 1974 recently deceased . He never played it by the look. It's like new.
Freakin' awesome! Can't wait to hear you on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
The straight metal Leblanc BBb contrabass (range to written low Eb) is actually a pretty good horn, I was just playing one tonight. I'd consider it as a less expensive alternative to the 'paperclip' models, and as counter-intuitive as it may seem, the case for the straight model is more compact than for the paperclip.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,028 Posts
I think they should, not many can afford them, I purchased the Ridenour Contra, what I have heard is that he has put them into production to be available later this year.
That's a Chinese made contrabass to low Eb, right? I tried one of those (not made for Ridenour) and it was pretty decent really. Even very decent compared with pro models and their prices. Though I'd only buy a low C model so unfortunately not an option for me.......

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The straight metal Leblanc BBb contrabass (range to written low Eb) is actually a pretty good horn, I was just playing one tonight. I'd consider it as a less expensive alternative to the 'paperclip' models, and as counter-intuitive as it may seem, the case for the straight model is more compact than for the paperclip.
I like the look of the straight one. There is one for sale at PM Woodwind that looks excellent.

The one I'm getting is to low C but I would have been happy with a low D ( or Eb)

·
3,801 Posts
That's a Chinese made contrabass to low Eb, right? I tried one of those (not made for Ridenour) and it was pretty decent really. Even very decent compared with pro models and their prices. Though I'd only buy a low C model so unfortunately not an option for me.......
I think the low C model will be done soon; it's only a matter of time now.

The one I'm getting is to low C but I would have been happy with a low D ( or Eb)
I can count the number of times I've needed the low C on NO fingers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had one instance to need the low D on contra parts never seen a low C on contra parts yet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts