Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently decided to double on clarinet. I found two wooden clarinets on craigslist that I was interested, and went crazy - bought them both. So, long story short... I'm having a difficult time deciding which one to keep; the Yamaha ycl-34, or the noblet 45. Both are intermediate clarinets, wood. The noblet looks cleaner, nicer, but the Yamaha just seems to have a slightly fuller sound. Don't get me wrong, the noblet has great intonation throughout the upper and lower register, but just a bit more resistant. The Yamaha will need some adjustments, but errrrhhhh!!! Like them both...

I was hoping I could get some opinions on which one to keep? I know it's a matter of personal preference, but just curious to read some other opinions?

Thank you. :)

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
One small consideration...
Noblets are quite demanding of better-than-average quality of servicing. Many standard pads are just unsuitable - too thick, and provide insufficient venting. And any key corks that are too thick, i.e. thicker than pretty darn thin, will also compromise venting. Some keys are made so robust, or are in such a tight space, that they cannot be bent to increase venting. And Noblet is particularly sensitive to poor venting, which can give a stuffy sound, at least for some notes, and an unresponsive "feel", which are possibly symptoms you are experiencing.

Don't' get me wrong though... when the venting is as it should be, they play great, with a particularly clear, responsive sound.

So if you go for this option, then you probably need access to a tech who is more than mediocre, and aware of these things, and prepared to stock extra thin pads, and able to face the extra challenges that these present in installation.

BTW, any original corks are likely to progressively fall off, because for many years, LeBlanc used (and possibly still does use) a substandard glue that had little more adhesive property than cheese.

Does that clarify or complicate... Hehe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts