Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a LeBlanc LL Bes Clarinet in excellent condition. What is a fair price for that instrument?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Have you seen and played the clarinet to varify that it's in 'excellent' condition?
What are they asking for it in US dollars?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply!

It's from a professional player, teacher and conductor of various Dutch orchestras. Casper van der Spek (http://klarinetverkoop.nl/) valued it worth €1000,- (about $1350) but the seller thinks it's reasonable to lower it to €750,- ($1018) because of silver of the stands (at which the keys are attached) is not completely there anymore.

I've not yet played it. But I surely can test it. Although I have to confess that it's a long time ago that I've been playing clarinet (almost 20 years...) and then I used to play a so called (German) Albert system. But that will not be a problem. Since about a year I'm playing sax again and my next target is the clarinet again.

It's of course a matter of negotiating about the price. But when te seller is asking a reasonable price for it I will not try that hard to get it for less.

He has by the way also a LeBlanc Esprit and a LeBlanc Sonata to offer. Prices and state of those instruments are not know to me at this moment. I only showed interest in his LL.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I bought mine off of eBay about 7 years ago for around $450. Looking on eBay, they seem to be going for $600 - $700 US.

I found this post on another board:
http://www.leblancclarinets.com/communityforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11
The prices have gone up a bit. Chances are if the plating is worn the pads may be worn also. Used clarinets do not improve with age. You have to also check the condition of the wood. Are the keys nickel plated or Silver plated.. Silver is worth more. The LL was a professional clarinet, the Esprit and Sonata are intermediate clarinets worth much less. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for the LL because they always need some adjustment and if the plating is worn, the key rods might be worn
also with looseness between the posts. Some large bore clarinets like the LL have intonation problem. It's a risky business buying a used clarinet. You have to take an experienced player to test it. I've bought many used clarinets on eBay and most of them I returned because they were not as advertised and needed too much repair work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so far for all your hints what to look (out) for.

I think I will give it a try to contact that Casper van der Spek because his atelier is not far from where I live. I can walk by asking him about that specific instrument.

I see by the way a lot of instrument offers at eBay but also at lot of other sites at the internet. How tempting they are. I can imagine they have been the cause of some domestic disputes :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts