Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a Lebayle Wooden Jazz Mouthpiece and was wondering what your opinions were on the #s 6,7, & 8 were?

I'm a junior in college, I've been playing jazz for about 6 or 7 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm playing on a Berg Larsen 8 that was given to my with my Mark VII

Would the 6 be easier to play on or harder?

Can any of you point me in the direction of some Lebayle distributors, preferably online, but if you know of shops that will ship I will gladly take them as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
saxophones.uk carries Lebayle mpcs. Roberto's woodwinds carries some also...
I bought mine at the former rather than the latter...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MojoBari said:
I have a FAQ answer on my site about tip openings.
All I need answered is whether the 6 or the 8 will have a bigger tip opening, not an article explaining tip openings. Thanks though.

I'm assuming the 8 has a bigger opening, but when I drop 230 on this thing I want to be 100%.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Yes 8 is the bigger tip opening. A 6 will be easier to play, buy may not give you the sound qualities you might find in a bigger tip opening.

·
Registered
150 Posts
MojoBari said:
I have a FAQ answer on my site about tip openings.
I read it when I was first shopping for mouthpieces and it was a big help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,172 Posts

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
All we need is for you to ask the question you want answered in the first place.

With sax mouthpieces, all larger numbers have larger tip openings. But a 6 or 8 in one brand does not always equal the same tip opening in another brand. It would be good to find out the tip opening in inches or mms and compare it to what you like.

My opinion would be that a college student should avoid paying $230 for a wood mouthpiece. Half of them I have worked on are dimensionally unstable. The table does not stay flat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts