Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Lebayle Metal Jazz for my alto a few days ago. I have't gotten around to trying it yet but I wondered how the fusion ligature works? There was some little piece of cloth in the box that I am not sure what to do with. I'm guessing the ligature goes with the screw on top. Does the cloth go between and the lig and reed or something?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
patseguin said:
I got a Lebayle Metal Jazz for my alto a few days ago. I have't gotten around to trying it yet but I wondered how the fusion ligature works? There was some little piece of cloth in the box that I am not sure what to do with. I'm guessing the ligature goes with the screw on top. Does the cloth go between and the lig and reed or something?
I'm betting it goes on top to prevent scratches to the mouthpiece.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still haven't been able to try this piece. The ligature seems too big and won't hold the reed on. I have no idea what that little piece of fabric is for. If I put it anywhere, the ligature fits snug with no chance of getting a reed in there.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Use some strips of paper on top of the mouthpiece until the ligature is snug enough to hold a reed and test the mouthpiece.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, since they don't take returns on mouthpieces, I have to settle for shoving pieces of paper on a $250 mouthpiece? I called Roberto's and the guy seemed relatively clueless about it. He said that the mouthpieces may not come with a ligature. I told him that it says right at LeBayle's website that these pieces come with Fusion ligature and cap. So, either I should never buy from Roberto's, never buy LeBayle, or both...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
patseguin said:
Well, since they don't take returns on mouthpieces, I have to settle for shoving pieces of paper on a $250 mouthpiece? I called Roberto's and the guy seemed relatively clueless about it. He said that the mouthpieces may not come with a ligature. I told him that it says right at LeBayle's website that these pieces come with Fusion ligature and cap. So, either I should never buy from Roberto's, never buy LeBayle, or both...
You may be on to something there...

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
In general, avoid buying mouthpieces without a trial unless they are discounted to the point that you can resell them without a huge loss.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I never bothered to read their return policy until after the fact. Dumb on my part. If I can't get a satisfactory answer from them, I'll try to talk them into taking it back. In fact, I've not even played it since I can't get a reed on it. I really wish I'd stop buying mouthpieces anyways. ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
With the fusion lig the screw goes on top, facing the right side of the mpc. I've got a MJ tenor, no piece of cloth was included. The lig fits very tight. Maybe your lig is for tenor, instead of alto.
Have you asked Fred Lebayle about this, [email protected] for e-mail.
His website is now only showing the Scala lig, maybe you can work something out with Fred (could be nice because the Fusion needs some attention when putting a reed on) Good luck.

edit: took some measurements, bottomplate 26 mm (1 inch+), height fully closed, measured from top of he screw notches 36 mm (just under 1.5 inch).

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great response Grumpie. It did occur to me that maybe they threw a tenor lig in there. That's almost how too big it is. I will definitely contact him because I want to try the piece. I've heard a few people lately w ho sound great on it.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I'll have more patience. ;)

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update on this. I called Roberto's again and got transfered to a woodwind guy. I guess they were short-handed the other way when I called. This time they were very helpful and said I probably got a tenor ligature and said they'd send out a new one right away. Just didn't want to turn anyone off to Roberto's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts