Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't know much about the LRII but the Focustone (Precision, but Acoustimer too) is hands down the best tenor sax mouthpiece I've ever played. It plays like a Link but sooo much better.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
The Lebayles I have seen do not have great facings on them. But guys do not send me good mouthpieces unless they want them opened or closed or some other non-facing work done on them. I have worked on only one Focustone and its facing was "off". I think this was a rare freak as other mouthpieces I have seen done by TK are usually very nice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The internal geometries are not the same and the extent that each are hand-finished are very different. The result will be a very different response and overall sound.
How does the new Precision focustone compare to the handcrafted models & the acoustimiser focustone? Are they the same internal dimensions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
How does the new Precision focustone compare to the handcrafted models & the acoustimiser focustone? Are they the same internal dimensions?
The Precision, Handcrafted and Acoustimer ResoTone all share very similar internal geometry in their designs. BUT ... Handcrafted models are from lost wax casting so there is a certain amount of variation in that that comes from casting and finishing. The ResoTone is similar again but it's a moulded piece that requires extensive hand work to get them to size etc. With the Precision, it's machined to a very high level to two size ranges 7*, so there is a greater consistency as a starting point before it gets to the bench.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The metal Lebayle's I had, LR and LRII were as badly faced as Berg's. One LR was so bad that it wasn't even possible to correct. Klum's work you can count on, but his facing curve may not work for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The metal Lebayle's I had, LR and LRII were as badly faced as Berg's. One LR was so bad that it wasn't even possible to correct. Klum's work you can count on, but his facing curve may not work for you.
I have an LR II that is better than the link I had been using for 10 years, but on alto I just bought an Acoustimax to replace my 20 year old chipped up link, and it sounds so nice and clear that I'm wanting the similar vibe on tenor (which is my main horn). I mean, it's ridiculous, after playing alto with the acoustimax I start wanting to just play alto, until then it had been settled that tenor is my vibe.....
This is why I'm wondering if it's just me, or if the klum & Lebayle would produce significantly different results.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sebastian, Does the precision cost less than the hand crafted only because it saves time? Does Ted also do the finishing on the precision?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
The Handcraft is completely done by hand ... like I said it's a raw lost-wax casting. That means the whole body has to be sanded to even it and remove sprues, lapped extensively, sanded and polished inside, table and curve constructed from a very raw state, biteplates poured in two layers and finished by hand etc ... it's a work of art before it's even got a curve. All the plating is done in house as well. The Precision represents a very true representation of the CAD file that these are designed from. The precision model is machined from the same file but with more precise tool paths and polishing
so it is actually more accurate and requiring less hand finishing. Ted does finish work on all of these. The magic is in the extra hand-work required for it to have Ted's name on the product.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'll definitely say, that my TK ResoTone is the finest mouthpiece I've ever played! Sebastian, please tell Mr. Klum how much I love this mouthpiece!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts