Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for some opinions here. How do they differ, other than the material they are made of? Also what makes one better than the other? Some info would be great! Thanks

P.s. I have a Light Rovner, Dark Rovner, and Eddie Daniels Rovner and I've been using the Eddie Daniels, but recently the dark has been giving me a slightly better tone. What do you think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,102 Posts
I love my Rovner EDII ligature. On my RPC, it provides the biggest, brightest, and most centered sound. No other lig matches it. I've never been a big ligature guy, but after cycling through this one, a Rico H lig, a regular 2 screw, and a FL ultimate lig, I was surprised at how much more in control I felt and how much bigger the sound felt to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
on my Meyer 6, I switch between the stock ligature (metal) and a Rovner MK III (I think that's the same as an Eddie Daniels). I get some fantastic control with the Rovner, but I've found that if I'm using a slightly harder reed, the stock lig will make it play a little easier. The Rovner light didn't give me enough punch and the Rovner dark didnt give my tone as much "pop" as the MK III, but that's just my oppinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
I used to like Rovners, but lately the regular ones have started to seem muffled to me. For tenor and alto I've switched to Vandoren Optimum on anything they will fit, and Selmer 402/404 otherwise. The metal ligs seemed bright to begin with, but I soon started to round out the sound and now I much prefer their response. I do still prefer a Rovner (Eddie Daniels II) on soprano, though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't think it's the Leather or metal that changes the sound I would say it's the pressure plate that makes the difference. Some leatherligs have plastic pressure plates and that will make the sound darker (for example BG Standard) and some have metal that makes the sound a little brighter for example BG super revelation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
for me, the Rovner Mk III is the one giving me the "darkest" of tone. I am using ED II for my rock/funk outfit.
for now, I am using Paraschos wooden ligature which helped me to revive quite a number of "liveless" reeds.
one of the best ligatures ever recommended was the Winslow or SAXXAS.
check them out. happy testing - what works for one does not necessarily work for another. go with whatever that helps you in your tonal concept or your musical approach. getting the same setup as Paul Desmond WILL NOT guarantee a Paul Desmond tone :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great jazz advice! Anyone have an suggestions for a dark classical tone?

·
Registered
179 Posts
@SSA80S23: The Rovner MkIII is NOT the same as a Versa/Eddie Daniels II lig!!!

Kudos to "bkobog"! OP has not reveiled what mpc he uses his ligs on, but generally the Rovner Dark will give you the darkest, but most unfocused sound. The Rovner Light more open and focused. For me, the Rovner MkIII has the sound of a Dark, but much more focus. The Versa/Eddie Daniels II gives you more volume and focused tone, more bite and cut, but loses out on the fatness and warmth of the MkIII or the Dark or Light! But again, the differences may not be so obvious on all types of mouthpieces. The Saxxas is probably the best lig I have used, but it is typically a lead lig, for cut and volume. Works fantastic on Meyer!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally, I hate all fabric ligs as I feel that they dampen the high partials and deaden the response compared to a metal lig (the fabric lig w/pressure plates are an exception as they respond closer to an all metal lig). If I want a darker sound, I just play a darker reed - I'm not willing to accept the damped response that fabric ligs give - their only advantage imho are that they accomodate more mpc sizes and won't scratch the mpc - if I have problems with an odd sized mpc, I'll use a soft lig w/pressure plate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After a bit of practice I've gotten pretty good at switching ligatures during a song depending on what the music calls for. My vintage Rovner is great for rhythm, but I switch off to a metal 2 screw Selmer for the lead work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts