Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have occasionally been requested to repad a flute with leather pads. The reason given is always that the client thinks the pads will last longer. The finished repadded flutes play great and I haven't seen any ongoing maintenace issues with them. I just finished my first open hole flute repad with kid pads. It was quite a challange.
I'm getting this request more and more frequently now. Are other repairman seeing this trend also?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I wouldn't want to try it. I have however used leather roo pads on the trill keys with no ill effects.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
I get treble flutes to repair. These are a pain as they don't have screw-in pads. Clarinet pads can be too thick so I usually resort to oboe pads. Some of them have a deeper cup and I've seen those fitted with basson pads, which seems to work OK. I had one that I repadded with brown clarinet leather pads but this was found to be too sticky, which seems to be the main concern with leather. I havent' done a 'full size' flute in leather but you do get the wooden flutes with 6 or 8 keys fitted with leather pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've only ever seen alto and bass flutes fitted with leather pads - Yamaha bass flutes are white leather padded as far as I'm aware.

Gordon Beeson made brown leather pads with holes punched through them specially for flutes - presumably for wooden Boehms, 1867, Radcliffe or Pratten models.

Conical wooden fifes and flutes are usually leather padded, but they usually use bog standard leather clarinet pads glued into the pad cups. Baroque flutes have a pad made from thick leather for the Eb key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I once had a customer from thailand who had white leather pads in an elkhart flute. I had to replace a couple but was impressed with the feel. I have never done one since except some old wooden flutes, like rudall carte flutes. In fact all the old wooden flutes I see have white leather & they seem to be the best choice for these instruments.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts