Sax on the Web Forum banner

What method would you recomment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired a leather ligature for my tenor sax which was supposed to fit "most metal mouthpieces". Apparently, my LaBaye is not part of the most category. Even alto ligatures are too large. I tried the ligature on a selmar C** mpc, and like it, but not the mpc. I'm thinking of having a leathersmith modify the ligature for me, and was wondering what the best approach would be. I can either have him cut an restich the leather, sew a strip inside to tighten it up, or just have him remake the leather completely. What would you folks recommend?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
What make is it? I've never seen a leather ligature.

I would have thought that leather will stretch and so even if a leathersmith restitches it to fit, it will probably not fit for long.

If you like flexible ligatures, try a Rovner. The Star series are very good IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
If you like flexible ligatures, try a Rovner. The Star series are very good IMO.
Yeah, that's a reworking of the old Evo-5, which is my favorite Rovner (with the bars on the reed).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete Thomas, the ligature I bought is a VANDOREN.

Grumps, I live a good 2 hour drive from any music store that stocks anything more than rico reeds, so I usually have to order everything. I tried an alto ligature, and it's still too big, so I have ordered a similar clarinet ligature to try. At least, if that doesn't work, it can be used on my clarinet...

If I find a suitable replacement in the near futur, I will give the vandoren to a friend that plays tenor sax, otherwise I still would like recommendations on the best way to modifiy the ligature I have.

·
28,883 Posts
I haven't seen those, but I will be meeting the people from Vandoren soon, I'll be sure to check those ligatures out and discuss this issue.

Meanwhile my advice be to not mess with the lig, but to insert a shim, e.g. cardboard or leather, that makes the lig tighten properly.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Grumps, I live a good 2 hour drive from any music store that stocks anything more than rico reeds, so I usually have to order everything. I tried an alto ligature, and it's still too big, so I have ordered a similar clarinet ligature to try. At least, if that doesn't work, it can be used on my clarinet...

If I find a suitable replacement in the near future, I will give the vandoren to a friend that plays tenor sax, otherwise I still would like recommendations on the best way to modifiy the ligature I have.
It is unfortunate that you have to drive so long to get to a music store but if you can get to a music store that carries some different ligatures such as a few different rovner and Olegs you can try them on your mouthpiece for a fit test. It would be well worth your drive. They may not let you play with them on but just seeing how the different ligatures fit and seal with the reed on your mouthpiece makes a huge difference. I strongly recommend making the drive.
I had to do fit test with my Berg Larsen. It is pretty small for a Tenor Mouthpiece.

·
28,883 Posts
It would be well worth your drive. They may not let you play with them on but just seeing how the different ligatures fit and seal with the reed on your mouthpiece makes a huge difference.
If I had to drive two hours, I wouldn't want to just look at a ligature, I would want to play it.

But then, I'd rather buy three or four and return the ones that didn't fit rather than do the two hour drive anyway.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I have tried Vandoren leather ligs and Rovners. Mouthpiece tried it on, Vandoren. My choice, Rovner. My favorite lig is an Optimum by Vandoren but Rovner Light is so close, so close you would not imagine... I have not tired de Evo or anything else because I am set with my Optimum and sometimes when I give the Rovner Light a chance, Wow, it makes me wonder...

Bottom line, soft ligs, Rovner are good for me. The Vandoren Leather is well made, very well constructed but I did not like it.

All the best,

JI

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Buy all the used Rovener ligs you can on eBay. I've got about 10 of them in my mouthpiece box. When I need one, I just keep trying until I find one that fits.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I buy a leather Vandoren who came with three unchangeable plates and the cap is too of leather and fix the reed firmly and the sound is beautifull. This on my tenor, but I try the same ligature in soprano, and I cannot use, because darks the sound, is horrible, and I have to put the Rovner, that works fine.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
if your mouthpiece is a metal lebayle for tenor then get a rover star series sized for an tenor otto link. i know it fits, its what i use :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts