Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the least expensive bari worth purchasing? I'm not saying the least expensive available, but the least expensive that's actually worth its cost. Used is better than new!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The one that fits your budget! What is you budget, by the way? That makes a lot of difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally $2k or under. But if there's nothing in that range worth getting, it can go up.

But really, if my budget is $12k, there are great instruments for much less. So, the question is still what's the least a person can spend for something worth owning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I paid $800 on ebay for a 1950s 12m - with repairs, mouthpiece and case - ended up spending about $2k - love the horn and happy with the overall cost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
I don't know baris well, but I found that the best buys in tenors are good quality but lesser-known, less "prestige" brands (Holton, Beugnier, Dolnet), the later, less "prestige" dates of the prestige brands (60's Conn, Beuscher, KIng) and stencils. Look for ones in good condition (unless tech work is cheap where you are - it isn't here), as the price will be lower for the quality. So my thinking is look for condition and be open to more brand names.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Beugnier baritones are good deals if you can find them. I paid about #1,600.00 for mine. It has paid for itself at least five times in the past couple of years. This piece by Matt Stohrer tipped me off about these horns: http://www.stohrermusic.com/2013/06...phone-handmade-in-france-1960s-original-pads/

Mine is an Antoine Courtois stencil in silver.....Not as pretty as the one Matt used to own.

It gets the job done!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,469 Posts
What do you want to use it for? I mean, if it's just a bar honker you want, a vintage American bari can be had for well under a grand. If you need it for section playing, then you have to weigh whether or not you'll need a low A. Mark VI baritones without a low A can go for less than three grand if you shop around. Otherwise, if you need a low A you'll have to hunt for a Yanagisawa stencil (along with countless others looking for them) or a used Yamaha to stay within budget. Unless you want to gamble on a no-name import, or boutique horn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good point. I'm more looking for playing in an ensemble. I'd been mostly considering low Bb, but the A might be more required. Ugh...

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
That's a good point. I'm more looking for playing in an ensemble. I'd been mostly considering low Bb, but the A might be more required. Ugh...
There's probably no major wind ensemble (concert band, big band, saxophone quartet, etc.) in which the baritone sax player won't be expected to play low A's, unless you deliberately seek out arrangements without them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a “purple logo” Yamaha YBS-32 (also marketed as YBS-52) for just under US$ 2,000 including its original case, and consider it a best buy. Previously I had a Dolnet Bel Air low Bb, for which I paid US$ 900, which was nice to get acquainted with baritones but honked nowhere near as good as the Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts