Sax on the Web Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thanks! This is a very slow process for me, so I appreciate you all sticking with me. I've tried a lot of different things here. One was attempting to walk the bass line (failing a lot), slowing it down and attempting to play the chord tones to attempt to spell out the chords (getting lost or mishearing a lot). But I've spent MUCH more time listening to this, singing pitches, playing chords on my keyboard, and trying to write out the form (like skeller was able to instantly do, and I refused to read that earlier because I wanted to see if I could figure it out on my own. But this took me a long while, the better part of 2 months practices).

Just a little while ago (with help from @Bubba06 ) I finally decided to check to see how close I was on my chords, and it wasn't far off from what I gathered.

So now that I'm getting the form figured out in my head, I can finally start to focus more on playing over them. I should have done this last take slower and focused more on just hitting chord tones but I rushed out that meandering take - going to put on the training wheels again. My goals for my next take thanks to the feedback here and from my instructor:

Much Slower Take
Add articulation and some actual emotion to the melody - Thanks Turf3 - Sorry I neglected this one, I've just been very focused on trying to learn the changes
2 Choruses, Quarter Notes Only Root/5, 3/7 of all chords - Thanks Keith and my Instructor!
One Chorus Quarter Notes Only, Next closest chord tone

After I feel comfortable with this, I'll provide another update for everyone. Again thank you all for your help and support!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,505 Posts
you really have to give yourself little wins. so if you play 4 chords correctly give yourself a Yahhhhhhh in your head. Celebrate any win, no matter how small. K

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
you really have to give yourself little wins. so if you play 4 chords correctly give yourself a Yahhhhhhh in your head. Celebrate any win, no matter how small. K
Thats a really good point I've been forgetting. Probably explains the minimal progress, as it is demoralizing when things just aren't clicking! Thanks K!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,505 Posts
Thats a really good point I've been forgetting. Probably explains the minimal progress, as it is demoralizing when things just aren't clicking! Thanks K!
J. I don’t know any good musician who’s happy with all his/ her playing. I know I’m not. The better I get the more I see what I can’t do. So I enjoy the moment. Try to make musical statements and create up to what I know. K

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,138 Posts
Jared you struggle with the same issues I do. I’ve always been a note reader. I’ve only learned one or two songs by ear. I get lost when trying to follow the chords. At my age I doubt I would have the energy to do what you are doing. I have to give you credit for your passion to learn. Wish I’d have had the time and energy to do it thirty years ago when I was your age. I was heavily into physical stuff like Masters swimming back then. You make choices in life. I don’t regret the choices I made but I wish there was more time.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Jared you struggle with the same issues I do. I’ve always been a note reader. I’ve only learned one or two songs by ear. I get lost when trying to follow the chords. At my age I doubt I would have the energy to do what you are doing. I have to give you credit for your passion to learn. Wish I’d have had the time and energy to do it thirty years ago when I was your age. I was heavily into physical stuff like Masters swimming back then. You make choices in life. I don’t regret the choices I made but I wish there was more time.
Thank you! It's definitely a time consumer learning all this, but I also am having a blast doing so. My time in the Marine Corps was probably the end of the physically taxing events, but running and weight lifting are still around (albeit very seldom). Just trying to keep at it all on top of the rest of life, as everyone does :).

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you were my student I'd make you walk those changes with chord tones until you really could hit the chord tones at will.
Funny-- I'm pretty I suggested that to you in our last PM Jared. ;)
Something that can help with that is only working on smaller chunks of the tune at a time... with a metronome is very simple, but you can also do it with iReal by long holding onto a measure, and then dragging it to a section. I like to isolate strangely related sections this way, or parts of the tune that are vaguely similar, but not quite the same.

-Bubba-

121 - 127 of 127 Posts