Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that playing piano at a level where I could either comp two-handed, or play LH chords and single-line RH passages (very slowly) would facilitate my improvisation skills and working out things in new tunes. Many of the great jazz players could do this. I had have a few years of piano as a kid so I understand the keyboard but my technique is abysmal. How would I best come up so speed? I don't have that much time and need to be careful not injure my hands so I would rather go slow and not deal with weekly lessons. Should I take lessons sporadically from a jazz player? Is there a good book or website that covers this subject?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Phil DeGreg's book "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" is a great option and was designed to teach jazz comping to non-piano players.

I think it's difficult, though, to make much progress with this kind of thing without a teacher. I'd find a local jazz piano player who understands you have limited time and manages the instruction accordingly. Maybe start with weekly lessons for a couple of months to get started then switch to twice a month. You'll probably have a lot more fun and find things clicking a lot more easily than trying to make your own way through the swamp with a guidebook.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a book on the subject published by Aebersold. Has anyone used it or seen it? Thanks, will look for the DeGreg book.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts