Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background. I am a recent graduate with a degree in saxophone performance. Although I had 2 years of class piano, I never took it that seriously and focused on the horn.

I am looking for a book that get me past playing just lame block chords when comping on the piano, as well as increasing my competence at the piano. Something like this:
http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=NON&Category_Code=PIAKEY

seems promising but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with books of this nature.

Thoughts, suggestions, reviews, and general advice would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if this subforum would be the best place for this or not.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
+1 for the Mark Levine book. Every example sounds the opposite of lame.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, looks like I'll order the Levine book sometime in the next week. Or just ask for it for christmas. Either way...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Levine book is really good, but I think the old John Mehegan books are even better. They are a lot less user friendly than Levine's book, but he covers everything up to 1965 when it was written. Especially useful is the section on "A" & "B" voicings as well as the overview of Shearing style block chords. It does take a little while to get used to dealing with the figured bass nomenclature if you aren't used to it. It comes in 4 volumes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts