Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently learning to play marching baritone so I can audition for the Crossmen this summer. I was wondering if there any saxophone (or other WW) players or teachers who have had students that have learned a new instrument for drum corps that have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance
Note: Just to make it clear, I'm not really looking for beginning brass fundamentals advice, my band director is helping me as far as that goes - I'm just looking for help specific to this type of situation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Practice Practice Practice

I am in a similar situation. I'm not currently in a drum corps but play tuba in marching band and will be auditioning for Blue Knight Winter Brass next year.

My main instrument is tenor sax, and I found that the best thing to do is just to play a lot of both instruments. My sax playing didn't suffer too much, it actually improved in some ways, but I kept playing both.

Good luck, and have fun with it. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I know a ton of woodwind to brass for marching band people. I think the number has been helped along though because my college (Ohio State) has no saxes in the marching band, or any other woodwinds. It IS NOT drum corp, just Brass band.

this year though, 8 sax players on mellophone, 3 on baritone, one on trumpet(me) and one on sousaphone. There is a number of other woodwinds doubling brass and percussion just so they can march in the band!

Number one thing I can tell you is PRACTICE!!

Lip Slurs, Longtones, and articulation practice is especially important. Have fun too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
And to give you an Idea how possible it is to achieve the goal of making the corp, Ohio State's audition process will make any Drum corp look like people just walk up off the street.

One horn player coming from sax this year, showed up to the SUMMER LONG tryout process starting in June after having been playing for 3 weeks. He made the band when the final cuts were made in the middle of August just in time for the first game!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
I learned baritone for marching band when I was in college. (I never understood why woodwinds were allowed in marching band - well, except piccolo.) My main advice is to keep your focus on your main instrument. Practice as much as you need to for drum corps - but not more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was going to try out for Teal Sound down here in FL, but I don't think my director likes drum corps, so he won't let me learn a brass instrument. :-/

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, I don't know your life situation but that's not really your director's call is it? I mean, maybe he won't support you and you won't want to tell him what you're doing, but it's still your call. See if you can borrow a brass instrument from someone OR you can pick up a used instrument on eBay cheap, then learn on your own or get a couple of lessons. Or maybe even rent. The cost of getting your hands on an instrument will pale in comparison to the costs of being in the corps. BTDT about 15 years ago (but I ended up giving up for reasons unrelated to my very unencouraging director).

·
Registered
59 Posts
monzamess said:
Well, I don't know your life situation but that's not really your director's call is it? I mean, maybe he won't support you and you won't want to tell him what you're doing, but it's still your call. See if you can borrow a brass instrument from someone OR you can pick up a used instrument on eBay cheap, then learn on your own or get a couple of lessons. Or maybe even rent. The cost of getting your hands on an instrument will pale in comparison to the costs of being in the corps. BTDT about 15 years ago (but I ended up giving up for reasons unrelated to my very unencouraging director).
Ooops, Let me correct myself. He won't let me borrow a mello to practice on...even after our marching season is finished. It's kind of hard to explain seeing as how the situation is. He's not necessarily keeping me from doing this, but he's making it extremely difficult. He won't let me borrow a horn, get a solo, and he flat out told me this week that no matter how much I try to play that solo, that I would never get it.

I have gotten my college buddy to get me a solo for my tryout, so now I am getting the instrument soon (hopefully). I doubt I'll make it this year seeing as how the tryout is next month, but it's still worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts