Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days I've noticed a problem while practicing - air is leaking out of my mouth somehow, it's like my embouchure isn't firm enough or something. The only variable is that I just purchased a new mouthpiece - a Selmer C* Soloist. I had previously been using a regular Selmer C*. I've never had this problem before, and it started happening when I began using this mouthpiece. Have any of you come across this before? Is it a matter of me merely needing to adjust to this mouthpiece? It's incredibly annoying, to hear this slight whoosh of air going out as I play.

·
Registered
52 Posts
has this started afer a long while of playing beacuse sometimes after hours of playing at once my lips get tired and the embouchure gets loose and i feel the air leaking

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Either that or reeds just warped a bit...sometimes my reeds warp and I only tell if I carefully slide a piece of paper between the reed and mouthpiece and one side goes a lot farther down than the other.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it doesn't happen when I switch back to my old mpc, using the same reed. And it's not after too long of playing, either

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,590 Posts
Switching reeds between mouthpieces might be the problem. Try some new, unplayed reeds on your new piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,147 Posts
The S-80 mouthpiece tends to have a flatter beak than the Soloists (at least the older ones). Try putting a rubber mouthpiece patch or similar tape in the top so your teeth will grip a bit better. I think you are not adjusted to the higher center on the Soloist. You could also have your front teeth shaved down but.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
You might just need a period of adjustment.

Does the air start leaking right away, or does it take a little while? Do you feel you have to blow a little harder with the new piece? If the answer to either question is yes, it might be an endurance issue which will work itself out.

When I first started playing in rock and funk bands I got really hyped up and had the adrenaline pumping. In the beginning, I could barely make it through a 45 minute set because I was playing so hard. My embouchure would be gone. But I adjusted and my embouchure got stronger and everything was normal again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe the mp is too tight.. When I switched from a S80 D to a soloïst, the guy in the shop told me that the soloïst E is about the same (in blowing) as the S80 D. So maybe you should have bought a soloïst E. Maybe try a softer reed with your C*. Maybe try shaving one of your current reeds to try if softer reeds help. I think others may have better solutions for your problem hence I'm not a pro..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not from getting tired, because it starts happening right away. I know it's not a fault in the mouthpiece itself, because when I close my lips more tightly around it the whooshing stops - but it seems like my embouchure has to be ridiculously tight, in comparison with my old C*. Is it normal to have to have a tighter embouchure to play a Soloist?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts