Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problems with a Dolnet Bel Air alto. It seems like it is leaking. But it is impossible to find where the leak is, I have checked with light and a local tech has been working on it and concluded that it is not leaking any more. Yet it it not possible to play D and below.
Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? What I should check out?

I must have the mouthpiece far out on the cork to get it to tune, it can be a "high pitch" sax?

In this video I play with the original mouthpiece (which I have refacet to spec for a Meyer 5) and my Beechler Bellite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,703 Posts
Somethings leaking somewhere, if you cannot play below D. Maybe check the bell to body attach, check the neck tenon and reciever, maybe try just a basic standard un modified mpc to trial. etc etc'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somethings leaking somewhere, if you cannot play below D. Maybe check the bell to body attach, check the neck tenon and reciever, maybe try just a basic standard un modified mpc to trial. etc etc'
You're right: Something is leaking. The lights I have can not find the leaks, are there some other ways to do this? I also use a standard Selmer D mouthpice to test - and it's also leaky with that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,683 Posts
even if it would be high pitch it would play D and lower if it weren't leaking

first of all some leaks are apparent only in almost dark environment and with good light energy, lots of technicians check leaks in dim light but not dark conditions.

Other less apparent leaks might be present (tenon, receiver?) palm keys, top octave, side octave........ the cork on the neck might be leaking too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.