Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a student Bundy flute to learn on. At first, I thought the problem was me, but I can pluy the headjoint just fine. I suspect the main body piece is leaking. I've tried the suction test on it, and it seems to fail, but only if I use a lot of pressure. Is it me, or the flute? Is there anyway I can check? If it is leaking, what would the price be to get it into playing condition?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
contact bruce bailey and ask him to sell you a student flute that does not leak. to fix the flute you will spend more money than its worth and chances are it is leaking and probably ash shot pads.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
A typical "play condition" on a student flute runs about $40 - $50 depending on the area. I would suggest taking it to a reputable repair shop and getting an estimate of what it needs. The pads may be fine and it just needs some adjustment and regulation, or it may need several pads replaced or a complete repad. Once you have that information you can make an educated choice. The value of your flute even with new pads would be around $250, so you want to consider that as part of the equation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
Take a look at the pads first. They should be smooth and not have any felt showing through. Check to see that the keywork does not wobble. Are the 2 small trill keys near the top staying closed? If it just needs a few pads, you may get by for about $30 but a complete redo will go over $100. A photo of the pads should help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pads are all fine, but the seats seem pretty thick compared to saxophone and clarinet pads. I know that the top trill key has some slight play, but that pad doesn't seem to have any problems. The lower pads all just seam to be either compressed and leaking or need to perhaps be shimmed. I'm pretty sure at least two pads for the g and below keys are very slightly leaking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
It is a LOT more fun to play a flute that seals up perfectly. Have a technician look at it.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
If it's not too late, sell that Bundy and get a Yamaha student flute. It will be much better to learn on. I recently bought an old 221 (I think that's what it is...) for $90 in an antique store. Very good deal. These go on ebay for around $200, a little less or a little more depending on condition and how much of a rip-off artist the seller is. They play very well.

Prices to put in playing condition should be about the same.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just did a test that is like a reverse leak light. I know that at least two of the 4 pads for g and f are leaking very slightly. The others seem to be sealing with light pressure. As to buying another flute, I paid $30 for this, and I am determined to get it working. Any ideas on the price to fix just the leaks and get it into playing condition?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Reseating pads and regulating flute? I would guess $40. A repair should be able to give you a good estimate after a 5 minute inspection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts