Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lead sheets

I am new to the forum and I have a Q about improvisation. I play flute/sax and have been playing classical pieces on flute for several years but my greater interest lies in improvising on the standards, all of which I have in my computer. In order to see everything I write out the notes to the chords just below the chord symbol. I then learn the melody line but when I go back to the chord notations to try to 'weave' them into the melody that I have just learned I have difficulty making sense of them as jazz improvisation. Do I treat them as arpeggios? Do I learn the scale as well as the chord? How do I squeeze all that into each measure? Can someone tell me what to do? How do I weave the chord notations into the melody lines so that they make sense?
My sense is that its easier for piano players because they can hit the chord with the left hand while weaving in the melody with right - all at the same time

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are many different approaches to improvisation, I'd recommend you play these with a play-along cd liek Jamey Aebersold's book. Don't write out the individual chords and scales, learn them by ear so that you can play them over the play-along cd. This will help you get the chords under your fingers without relying on written music. If you have to read it with your eyes, then create something with it, and then play it, it's too much to do instantly.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chops2200 said:
I'd recommend you play these with a play-along cd liek Jamey Aebersold's book.
Thanks..........I do have a pretty good collection of the Aebersold books now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Start learning some solo's off of recordings when you think you're ready. Don't write them out, just learn them so you can play along with the cd. Once you've learned the whole thing and can play it with the recording....and with just an aebersold or similar play-along, then write out the solo and analyze it. Take patterns from it and licks you like and learn them in every key, and apply them to different spots in songs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts