Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lazarro Black/Gold Soprano Saxophone

I'm writing this review because before I bought my Lazarro - there were hardly any good reviews of this unknown and probably Asian brand.

Ok let's be honest to begin with - the standard rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for". And even though that is true, paying $200 for one of these saxophones might be the best deal you ever get.

I recently purchased two of these Lazarro Soprano Saxophones (Blue and Black) on eBay and I have nothing bad to say about either of them yet. They play great! Plus - My Gold on Black shining horn just LOOKS BEAUTIFUL.

You'll find that they have:
• Solid and heavy metal
• Smooth spring action in the keys
• Brand new, tight sealing leather pads
• Great (sexy & smooth) lacquer finished
• Amazing case
• Lots of extras (2 Necks, Gloves, 11 Reeds, Polishing Cloth, Neck Grease...)

Before the purchase, there seemed to be a sea of people claiming Lazarro Sax's are the worst things since taxes - most of them have never even played one. I'm no professional saxophonist, but the sound these puppies produce is still good for any student or intermediate player and I know this because I'm an intermediate pianist and I've saxophones around me. I've heard a someone who has been on saxophones for 11years play one and their tone was smooth and beautiful - warm and rounded, I don't see what else I could want. As a matter of fact, the tone this Lazarro produced was identical to their student Yamaha Alto Saxophone model - go figure.

The one thing I'd suggest - as have some others with these Lazarro's - get a new mouthpiece and reed conbo. Go to a music shop and test blow a new mouthpiece and reed combinations to get one that matches you - and your horn will sound like anything Kenny G has played. May I suggest a Rico B3 Soprano Saxophone Mouthpeice and Rico Reeds.

Now don't get me wrong - I'd love to own a Selmer or Antigua or Yamaha model more than this Lazarro that no one knows about but, they cost 3 times as much and over the years - as I get better and better I might purchase one just to say I have a high class horn - and look sexier on stage. Other than that, I can see good life coming out of this simple Lazarro and I'd suggest any Saxophone starter get one (pick your own unique colors in Soprano and Alto or just go with the standard gold and silver finishes - not sure if they produce Tenors). They even make good back up horns for when you drop your Selmer and dent it senseless.

Look at it this way - you can easily boast both an Alto and a Soprano in your arsinal of music instruments - how cool is that!

Long live my Lazarro Soprano Saxophone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lazarro Saxophones on eBay - Review of the review

I too bought a Lazarro Soprano Saxophone on eBay in Jan 2010. I am/was just a beginner, never played sax before. However, over the past year of what I've experienced I must agree with everything said in this review!

I've had it a year now and no problems except when I let it fall over and a spring popped out. I took it to one of the most reputable shops in the DC Metro area and they had no problems servicing it. In fact they went through the whole horn and adjusted everything while they were at it. I thought for sure that they were going to dog it out being that it was a "Shiny Chiny" but gave the impression it ws more than adequate for me and had no major intonation problems "no more than any other soprano" I think was it more or less. It played great for me and I didn't notice any difference before or after the adjustments but I trust they know.

I too got a couple mouthpieces including a Meyer 6, Rousseau and a Yamaha 4C. I settled on the 4C because it plyed both the high end and low end with ease (for me) where the Meyer did well in the low end witha little darker sound and the Rouseau the high end was better but a little too much treble for a beginner. I use a Legere 2.0 synthetic reed which lights up the horn!

I had my mentor's mentor stop thru town and play it - a 50 year Baritone thru soprano sax pro who travels the world performing. I told him I read chinese saxes were hit or miss...he played it for a while and turned to me and said "well you got a good one!"

If you got the money for a "name brand" then by all means get one. But if want to put only $226 at risk for a soprano - JUST DO IT!

I'm thinking of getting a second one with a fancy color as a gig horn.

LLMLSS!

(Long live my Lazarro Soprano Sax :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like my alto a lot and I've had for a month. It is really fun to play and like the sound I get. Every reed seems to work well on this stock mouthpiece too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts