Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you distinguish whether it is an old(Geoff) or new(Jason) Lawton mouthpiece? Lettering ? Size ?
many thanks
:fftheai::fftheai::fftheai:
:fftheai::fftheai:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the prices are very different, i.e. I would like to distinguish.
I would like to have a clue

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think the geoff lawton pieces have the words and letters in a small font, and the newer jason lawton pieces use a large font.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I think the geoff lawton pieces have the words and letters in a small font, and the newer jason lawton pieces use a large font.
But so did Geoff's later pieces. If it has larger letters it could be Jason or Geoff, there's no way to tell. Just try the mouthpiece and buy it if you like it.

BTW, at one point I understand they were making mouthpieces together, so even if you could date the piece, it wouldn't tell you anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,007 Posts
The changeover of font size happened whilst Geoff was still making them. It is a reasonable indication of when they were made (bigger font more recent) but not reliable for distinguishing Geoff from Jason.

As far as I know, having spoken a few years ago to Jason, the production since Geoff's death in October 2003 is only of the standard models (B, BB and no chamber marker) and so doesn't include experiemental or unusual models like the ICON, the Long Window (LW), the Reflector Baffle (BR and BBR) etc. Also I haven't seen any Stainless Steel models made by Jason, but don't know for sure whether there are any.

Rhys

·
Registered
610 Posts
how can you distinguish whether it is an old(Geoff) or new(Jason) Lawton mouthpiece? Lettering ? Size ?
many thanks
I think there are two things here 1) whether newer Jason made Lawtons are the same as, or similar to ones made by Geoff, and 2) an unscrupulous seller buying a new one and selling it as a late model large font older piece.
Regarding 1) - I bought a newer metal piece for bari, and it played great, no problem with it at all. I ended up selling it as I preferred my larger tipped HR older lawton piece
Regarding 2) - if someone's really done this then it's pretty poor, but if there are late pieces made by Geoff and Jason that both have large fonts, and there's no way to tell, ie they both play well, then there's nothing you can do. If a piece plays well, it plays well, and you've got a good piece. If it's a new piece sold as an old piece, and it cost you more, then that's just bad luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts