Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Am Thinking About it

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The URL below - a Kickstarter Project for new Lawton Mouthpieces....alas - these won't have ligatures :-(

"The project aims to generate sufficient funds to enable this small, family-run business enterprise to modernise its production processes and online presence to enable it to compete in the the 21st century. In return for the funding pledges, we are offering offering several fantastic rewards. These include the classic mid-range alto and tenor mouthpieces to be produced by the new processes".

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I’m very skeptical of how much modernization of their manufacturing process and marketing they can realistically accomplish with $27,000 dollars. I wish they were more specific about what these funds will actually enable them to do.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, well as they're already (still) making mouthpices I would (unsafely) assume they just wish to simplify / streamline their process - a Mill perhaps? but this is pure speculation. All that really matters (IMHO) is that Lawton continue as a mouthpiece maker. I haven't encountered anybody who would readily dis Lawton pieces so I hope they succeed. I guess we'll all follow the project.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I want to back it, but I don't want the rewards offered. I wish you could choose your mouthpiece and facing/chamber. I'd really like a stainless tenor piece in a 0.085"-0.090" tip/'P' chamber. Or possibly a soprano piece, also stainless. Alas.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
So tell me, if banks with millions/billions of dollars in deposits and teams of expert risk analysis professionals aren't willing to loan money to a business for capex, why should I?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,526 Posts
I feel the improvements in the creation process will be smaller, since they also mention the online presence. If they are having a website generated for them and pushing for marketing, that will be a sizeable chunk of this funding

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I feel the improvements in the creation process will be smaller, since they also mention the online presence. If they are having a website generated for them and pushing for marketing, that will be a sizeable chunk of this funding
So they also want us to loan them the money for a new advertising campaign?

All righty then.

·
TOTM administrator
6,526 Posts
So they also want us to loan them the money for a new advertising campaign?

All righty then.
No, that's an If statement - they do not say it is for advertising and they make no claim that it's for that. Their wording is 'The project aims to generate sufficient funds to enable this small, family-run business enterprise to modernise its production processes and online presence...'

The online presence bit is what I was interpreting, but didn't mean to insinuate it was guaranteed to go to that, it's just possibly part of 'online presence' piece.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,460 Posts
Maybe they are outsourcing the machining work. February seems like a pretty quick turnaround to deliver mouthpieces made from new equipment/process. Unplated with no ligature or bite plate seems rather minimalist, but that may just be for now as they get things kicked off and their supply chain worked out.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I remember when Geoff's son first started to take over the business. He did some handwork then went totally machine. The pieces were powerful because of the original design but lacked all of the color and nuance of the original pieces. I hope these pieces are better than the last iteration.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
No, that's an If statement - they do not say it is for advertising and they make no claim that it's for that. Their wording is 'The project aims to generate sufficient funds to enable this small, family-run business enterprise to modernise its production processes and online presence...'

The online presence bit is what I was interpreting, but didn't mean to insinuate it was guaranteed to go to that, it's just possibly part of 'online presence' piece.
What would possibly be the purpose of modernizing their online presence if that doesn’t involve marketing ? Advertising is only one component in that.

·
TOTM administrator
6,526 Posts
What would possibly be the purpose of modernizing their online presence if that doesn’t involve marketing ? Advertising is only one component in that.
I agree, that's why I said it could be part of it. But I didn't intend to put words in the mouths of the company, and didn't want anyone to take my assumptions as fact about how they use the funding. Although just having a better webpage and service for ordering would benefit tons of these small companies.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Turf, banks have to be repaid. They are looking for gifts.
Well, it appears maybe they'll give you a discount on a mouthpiece later, if they get them back into production. Maybe. The website is not clear.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if they can't make enough of a business case to get a loan, there's a pretty good chance nothing will ever come of it. Banks LOVE to loan money if they're sure they'll get repaid.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This Kickstarter Project, if successful, will enable them to move forward without getting into debt and I think we can all see the benefit of that.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Has nobody backed a Kickstarter before? A company asks for a certain amount of money to put toward some aspect of their business. They offer reward tiers, the higher tiers usually offering the first run of whatever product they're trying to get up and running. If they meet the goal early they might add on a "stretch goal" and offer additional rewards if they hit that (or those) goal(s). If the campaign doesn't meet its goal, nobody pays anything, and the company gets nothing.

Unfortunately I don't want the rewards being offered. I want stainless, smaller tip (0.085"-0.095",) and slide-on lig and cap. I'm still kinda tempted, but it's really not what I want.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has nobody backed a Kickstarter before? A company asks for a certain amount of money to put toward some aspect of their business. They offer reward tiers, the higher tiers usually offering the first run of whatever product they're trying to get up and running. If they meet the goal early they might add on a "stretch goal" and offer additional rewards if they hit that (or those) goal(s). If the campaign doesn't meet its goal, nobody pays anything, and the company gets nothing.

Unfortunately I don't want the rewards being offered. I want stainless, smaller tip (0.085"-0.095",) and slide-on lig and cap. I'm still kinda tempted, but it's really not what I want.
hey I can emphathise with you. Perhaps reach-out to Lawton and see if they might be willing to accomodate you. I am sure they'd be keen to know what their propective clients want.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts