Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering selling this piece. I played it for ten years or so from '86 to around '96. So it's been around the block. Unfortunately in those days I wasn't as conscientious as I am now about cleaning my mouthpieces. It's still in good playing condition but there are some tiny pits in the baffle and chamber. Is it possible to have these removed or buffed out? Would it be expensive? I'd like to have this piece in close to perfect condition before I try to sell it. The only other issue with it is two small toothmarks on the bite-plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm considering selling this piece. I played it for ten years or so from '86 to around '96. So it's been around the block. Unfortunately in those days I wasn't as conscientious as I am now about cleaning my mouthpieces. It's still in good playing condition but there are some tiny pits in the baffle and chamber. Is it possible to have these removed or buffed out? Would it be expensive? I'd like to have this piece in close to perfect condition before I try to sell it. The only other issue with it is two small toothmarks on the bite-plate.
How much are you asking for the Lawton?
CG

·
13,545 Posts
If you take out the pits you lower the baffle and it is no longer original. That will be a big dent in the selling price (or for many a deal breaker) rather than a small pit.

Bite plates can be replaced or repaired but I dont know if its worth it.

·
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sold the piece (as is) for $250 to a young cat in Florida. He's very happy with the piece. I probably could have gotten more but the buyer seemed like a nice kid and I wasn't out to make alot of money. I bought the piece at Manny's in New York back around '86 for a little over $100 or so. Maybe $130. Factoring in inflation I figure I made a small profit and the kid got a fair deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts