Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my son is having jazz band audition at school, he just finished Lawson Lunde Sonata Movement I and II for other event. I am wondering if he could use it for jazz auditon, it seems like I is more like classical and II is a little bit of Jazz, are they considered jazz? or practice the watermelon man piece? I do not play any instrument and not good at music and I greatly appreciated your feedback! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The rules for any audition will be set by those running it. What are the candidates supposed to play? Scales/arpeggios? Repertoire standards? Will they be expected to improvise at all? Your son needs to find out exactly what is required before he can decide what to play.

·
Registered
294 Posts
+1 for LostConn. If it is a college audition the requirements are usually posted on their web page. If not, you should be able to contact someone. The Lunde Sonata is standard classical repertoire. Probably not suitable for a jazz audition by itself. Good luck with the audition!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is high school audition, the teacher just said play one piece that is jazz style. Try to save time from practicing since the audition is coming soon:) I guess we go with the watermelon man piece. Thanks for sharing the information and blessing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts