Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dealing with a very angry man who insists that the LaVoz Metal reedgard I sent him for Tenor, is in fact for alto.

It measures 3 1/2 inches, I have some for altos and they measure 3 inches. I know there is a larger one made for bari that also fits tenor but the one sold for tenor /bass clarinet I am fairly certain is this 3 1/2 inch model.

Does anyone have a tenor reedgard they could measure and chime in on this thread?

I've offered to take it back and refund the purchase price and shipping both ways but he still feels quite upset about it and has been rather rude and insulting towards me over it.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
I don't have any of the old metal ones, but I do have several of the original plastic ones, in both the clarinet/alto sax size and in the tenor size.

The alto sax/clarinet version is roughly 3.0 inches long and 1.8 inches wide.
The tenor version is roughly 3.75 inches long and 2.0 inches wide.

This is for the 4-reed versions (the Reedgard IV). I also have the two-reed versions, whose lengths are the same (obviously) but I could also measure their width if you'd like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
Here is the one that I have had since the ‘70s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
I just packed up my aluminum alto and tenor RGs from the old days. I have just used the plastic ever since they came out. I can't easily get to them to check dimensions at this time - I'm starting a project to finish off an unfinished room. Incredible how much stuff was in there.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shared this thread and also another ebay listing agreeing on the size to the "gentleman".
His reply has my laughing and I thought I would share it here just for fun.
Keep in mind I immediately agreed to the return and paid for the return label yesterday.
It's a truism that the smallest sales cause the biggest problems. I don't think I've ever had a customer this angry in 20+ years on ebay.:)
Dear jwsaxophone,

And you Jim, have grown in your stupidity and lack of knowledge. I expect you to pay for the costs of shipping back something that I never ordered, that is the wrong size, and does not work for tenor sax reeds. You really are a dumb and stupid sax owner, who has his head so far up his ass that **** is coming out of his ears. And I am somehow lucky that you will take it back??? The only kind of luck you bring is bad luck. You are the cheapest SOB I ever met, who can not own up to his mistakes in life, and expects others to pay for them

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
988 Posts
I shared this thread and also another ebay listing agreeing on the size to the "gentleman".
Keep in mind I immediately agreed to the return and paid for the return label yesterday.
It's a truism that the smallest sales cause the biggest problems. I don't think I've ever had a customer this angry in 20+ years on ebay.:)
Dear jwsaxophone,

And you Jim, have grown in your stupidity and lack of knowledge. I expect you to pay for the costs of shipping back something that I never ordered, that is the wrong size, and does not work for tenor sax reeds. You really are a dumb and stupid sax owner, who has his head so far up his ass that **** is coming out of his ears. And I am somehow lucky that you will take it back??? The only kind of luck you bring is bad luck. You are the cheapest SOB I ever met, who can not own up to his mistakes in life, and expects others to pay for them
How nice and thoughtful! I wish I could receive messages that kind and complimentary.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
Dear jwsaxophone,

Yikes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
If the “gentleman” is a member here, please let me know so I may avoid doing business with him.

Wow. I wonder if he played with Buddy Rich?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,775 Posts
Used to use one of those with my old Bundy horn as a kid. Sorry to hear you're wrapped up with this individual, he sounds like an absolute joy to be around and especially to do business with lol. Maybe he uses those special "extra long tenor reeds" that don't exist as far as I know

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Ancient maxim: If you wish to meet some real jerks, just sell something on the internet. Not everyone you encounter will be a jerk, and most won't be, but you will be near guaranteed to meet at least a few.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dr G, this is where it gets really interesting. You got me curious enough to check. He's from Wisconsin, he's in his 70's and a little bit of googling seems to indicate that he played with Buddy Rich in the early 70's.
By jove, I think you've got it!

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,503 Posts
Dr G, this is where it gets really interesting. You got me curious enough to check. He's from Wisconsin, he's in his 70's and a little bit of googling seems to indicate that he played with Buddy Rich in the early 70's.
I happen to have a couple La Voz metal alto gards here now...they are 3 inches. I have sold several more of other sizes in the past few months, so looking back at my ebay listings, they were 3.5 for tenor, and 3.75 for bari.

PM me the guy's ebay name so I can block him...I sell a lot of these, so I don't want to end up being the next to incur his wrath. Let me know real name too...I'm a Wisconsinite, so maybe I know him!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,284 Posts
So he is just channeling his old mentor.
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well there's your problem. He's taken on major abuse in the past and it's flowing downhill now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tell old angry guy if he doesn’t leave you alone he’ll have to deal with me, and I’m not as nice as Buddy Rich.

Also, I have an old aluminum alto Reedgard and can confirm it’s 3” long, not 3.5“ like the tenor.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's reading this thread. He just sent two more pointless long screeds that I couldn't be bothered to read. A pathetic angry old man, trying to live on his past so-called glory. Poor fella keeps writing me about how hard it is to print a label and put the tenor reedgard in the mail. How sad is that?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Well yeah, he wants you to feel bad for him and just tell him to keep it and you'll give him back his $$.

Seems like half the old-timers here at SOTW have done business with you at one time or another and I've never read a disparaging remark so this guy is barking up the wrong tree. The Low Bb Barone bari you sold me is still the best Low Bb big horn I've played - and I've tried a bunch looking for something better over the last 7-8 years.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Seems like half the old-timers here at SOTW have done business with you at one time or another
New-timers, too! Kritavi sold me my #1 HR tenor piece at a great price, in perfect condition.
He's the best.
Hate like that makes you cringe, even if secure in your integrity and reputation. An angry fading has-been is not so funny.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts