Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for tunes that switch between latin and swing. Preferably high fast and loud stuff, but I'll take anything. I'm trying to find a certain recording. Any ideas guys? :) :mrgreen:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Are you talking about tunes that start out in a Latin style (straight beat) and then in the middle of the tune switch to a swing feel? That's an effect device that you could employ with a lot of Latin tunes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
"Formidable".... a tune which Donald Byrd used to play, I think it was written by his pianist Walter Davis Jr. But to my knowledge, there is no published chart of it (although a former pianist and I once transcribed it) .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great suggestions so far. I forgot to mention an obvious example that fits in here, caravan. The tune I've got in mind is pretty aggressive though. Think big band, high fast/loud

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wait. Is this a guessing game? What tune do you have in mind?

As JL mentioned, you could do that with almost any Latin form--- except (perhaps) traditional merengue (not the contemporary pop stuff).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A great example of this is Bolivia by Cedar Walton - It's a little different as the Latin part is in the middle of the chord change section. People often play it with Latin in the 16-bar modal section during solos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even while we didn't discover the song I was looking for, I've found lots of good stuff I hadn't heard before. Thanks to you guys 😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts