Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too knowledgeable in this area, so bear with me if necessary. I know there are bands that specialize in Latin jazz. Are there also saxophonists who are primarily known for their work in Latin jazz? If so, who are some of the big names?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Don't forget forum member Bob Franchescini aka franbop, Miguel Zenon, Tony Martinez, Tony Malaby, Furito Rios, i'll get back to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
The guy who plays the solo is Tiger of San Pedro from the LaBarbara Big Band is a beast.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The Cuban group that Paquito D'Rivera (along with trumpeter Arturo Sandoval) belonged to before he defected from Cuba to the U.S. was called Irakere. There was another outrageously gifted saxophonist in the band named Carlos Averhoff. He did not defect until several years later. He's now a prof at Miami Dade College.

He's worth checking out.

Also look up whoever is playing with the former leader Chucho Valdes. His site: http://www.valdeschucho.com/

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Maybe we should categorize the players as Brazilian Jazz and 'Latin' Jazz just for better categorize their main work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,130 Posts
The Cuban group that Paquito D'Rivera (along with trumpeter Arturo Sandoval) belonged to before he defected from Cuba to the U.S. was called Irakere. There was another outrageously gifted saxophonist in the band named Carlos Averhoff. He did not defect until several years later. He's now a prof at Miami Dade College.

He's worth checking out.

Also look up whoever is playing with the former leader Chucho Valdes. His site: http://www.valdeschucho.com/
You should hear his son. He is really talented. Carlos jr. is playing great.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Cuban group that Paquito D'Rivera (along with trumpeter Arturo Sandoval) belonged to before he defected from Cuba to the U.S. was called Irakere. There was another outrageously gifted saxophonist in the band named Carlos Averhoff...
True! Also check out Cuban saxophonist Cesar Lopez who also played with Irakere.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
A lot of Latin is incorporated into the jazz repertoire and sax players tend to play a both. People like Mel Martin have played with Pucho & his Latin Soul Bros, Hubert Laws with Mongo Santamaria. British tenor players Like Dick Morrisey and Dave O'Higgins have included Latin numbers, as have people like Stanley Turrentine.
For players that are mostly Latin, I think we've mentioned the main guys, Paquito (who also played with the Fania Allstars) and Gato. I liked the horns who played with Mongo Santamaria, Pat Patrick, Bobby Capers, Jimmy Cozier, Craig Rivers. There's some good solos on Mongo's stuff.

·
Registered
166 Posts
chombo silva. hear him with cal tjader, charlie palmieri,the allegre allstars and many others. he also played violin.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Gato I'm pretty familiar with - not exactly what I meant by Latin jazz as someone mentioned above. I think I've heard of that Parker guy, and some of the others. I'll check out some of the new names.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts