Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share my good luck. As I have mentioned before, my mouthpiece of choice on my Super 20 is a Brilhart Personaline "Made in England" piece. I have been looking for a "backup" to this piece. I have bought and sold several Personalines but none were quite on par with the one I have. I finally found what I hope is another one of these fine pieces and just purchased it off eBay. The amazing thing is, it is almost identical to the one I already have. In fact the serial number on my current one is 38492. The one I just purchased is 38497. I would never have thought I would find one so close in the same serial number range. I probably paid too much for it, but all things considered it was worth it to me. :)

Here is my current piece:

Here is the one I just purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150630386040&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i play this too!! and the british ones with the metal ring is best...i actually lucked out with a S7!! yeah baby

only thing better???? my personaline HR!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Nice find! The made in England Brilharts are definitely a winner with their brass bands. Wish mine had one - every time I squeeze mine onto the cork I fear an all too common crack to start!

It will interesting just how identical these too pieces turn out to be. They were most likely made by the same hands perhaps even on the same day or week!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
The cracks are not that common in the personaline. There is much more supporting material than in the tonalin shank that tends to crack if you look at it funny.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Do you think that resilience extends to the Personaline Tonalin models too? It's white plastic with the woodgrain biteplate.
I have a GNNY Ebolin too, but that seems fairly bulletproof.

These are alto pieces btw

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Congratulations, that's a nice piece. I have played a HR Personalin for some time. Smooth sound and great control. Great for ensemble work. I sold it eventually because my HSM is just more versatile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
congratulations, that's a nice piece. I have played a hr personalin for some time. Smooth sound and great control. Great for ensemble work. I sold it eventually because my hsm is just more versatile.
hsm ???

·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter, I noticed that the Made in England is "upside down" on the new one I bought just like my existing one. I remember you saying in an earlier post, that you had never seen that before. Now I guess we can add at least 2 pieces that are like that. :)

·
1,247 Posts
Peter, I noticed that the Made in England is "upside down" on the new one I bought just like my existing one. I remember you saying in an earlier post, that you had never seen that before. Now I guess we can add at least 2 pieces that are like that. :)
Interesting. Good you mentioned it. I did not notice. Should I get tired of collecting general info, I can start collecting "mutants". There is a Tonalin Great Neck without serial number on ebay right now. I have recently received info from a person who owns an Ebolin which is not marked "Ebolin". And finally, I have seen several examples of Brilharts which have the tip opening number stamped both on the table and on the top. :mrgreen:

·
1,247 Posts
HSM: http://www.hsm-masterpieces.com/hsm.html

Look nice but I've never played one.

I have got Brilhart Personaline Made in England pieces for tenor and alto and they are great sounding pieces, if a little quiet.

Rhys
HSM pieces. Wow. Nice looking.
Your personalines - are they the white ones ? They are normally more quiet than the black ones. And while we are on the subject, a friend of mine is on the lookout for an S4 white Personaline for alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,007 Posts
HSM pieces. Wow. Nice looking.
Your personalines - are they the white ones ? They are normally more quiet than the black ones. And while we are on the subject, a friend of mine is on the lookout for an S4 white Personaline for alto.
Yes, both my alto and tenor Personalines are white. The alto one was refaced by Ed Pillinger and that kept the good sound, but gave it a little more volume - I have no idea how that can have happened, but it did.

Are the black ones also "Made in England" and are they plastic or hard rubber ?

Rhys

·
1,247 Posts
Are the black ones also "Made in England" and are they plastic or hard rubber ?

Rhys
The only black Personaline "Made in England" I have seen, is one for clarinet which I bought on ebay yesterday. I am convinced that it is plastic.
Black American-made Personalines with the wood-like bite plate are made from plastic. The black ones without bite plate are made of hard rubber. These have a round chamber in contrast to the chamber with straight side walls of the plastic pieces.
Otto

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
My HR personaline is NOT made in England... it takes a little different airflow,so I actually enjoy playing my HR not personaline better.... however the personaline has a VERY special sound

·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: I finally received my latest Personaline MiE mouthpiece in today. Here are some pictures of them side by side. The newest arrival is on the bottom. Serial# 38497. I have not had a chance to play the new piece yet. Will do so after work today.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Now that is what I would call a beautiful couple.
I bet they both play as great as they look.
Keep us posted.

·
1,247 Posts

·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I almost forgot. Both of the S5 pieces measure .081 opening. I thought you might want that info for your spreadsheet Peter. How many of theses "upside-down" pieces have you run across so far?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts