Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought The Martin Tenor with serial nr. around 320xxx. It has a great fast action, good ergo and spotless intonation. What I and a friend have noticed is that the sound is somehow thinner than Bueschers and Selmers.
This is my first Martin and I wonder if the earlier serial numbers of The Martin run are considered better horns.
Thank you,
Sakshama

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
The only Martin from that age I have tried wqqas also a bit thin. played several from 145xxx to 212xxx and they all had a better sound than the later ones. been told the cutoff point for good ones is about when I think it was Reynolds bought Martin, somewhere around 212xxx. Don't know to what extent that's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
The The Martin I had (I have sold it now) had a brighter sound than Bueschers, Conns and MKVIs I've owned, so I guess you would say that it is thinner. But having said that, once you compensate for that with either a fatter or warmer sounding mouthpiece, then it kind of equals out.

In other words it appeared to be bright or thin when using a mouthpiece I'd got used to for adding brightness to a warmer sounding horn.

I would use the Martin when it felt liker the right horn for the job, but I could just as easily (or more easily) have done that with mouthpiece. In the end I sold the martin (sadly) when I found a horn that seemed to give me both fatness and brightness when required, a bit more easily (that is my current R & C) so the martin became a bit superfluous.

Although my wife begged me not to sell it.

So basically, I would say don't let apparent thinness make you think it's a less good horn.

(I have this The martin in with my fairly extensive tenor shootout which compared it to a Conn 10M, MKVI and some others)

see: http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-comparisons.html

I would take some time to get used to it, try some different embouchure approaches if not different setups.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,126 Posts
Wife begged you not to sell a horn?!?!?!?!

Pete, you need to patent, copy and sell that gene!

As for the Martins, my baritone is 307xxx- not long before the buyout- and it's the real deal, although it lacks the LH thumbrest that my alto and tenor have.
Every bit as Martin sounding as my 50's alto and tenor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.