Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which band do you prefer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which late night network talk show band do you like the best?
(USA based, because those are the only ones I know of.)

(Sorry, Letterman is the Late show, not late night. I haven't seen him much since he changed networks.)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
The Tonight Show band with Skitch Henderson. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
We only get Letterman down here. Who's Conan Obrien?

·
5,453 Posts
pc1234 said:
The funnier one - with the better band... :D
The one with the modified bouffant hairdo. It's stacked on the front of his head! :D :D (No wonder he's so funny!)

He used to be a comedy writer for who?? :?
One of the big names but it won't come to me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ratracer said:
He used to be a comedy writer for who?? :?
One of the big names but it won't come to me at the moment.
The Simpsons and SNL - he also does a killer Elvis impersonation for his crowd warm-up...

·
5,453 Posts
pc1234 said:
The Simpsons and SNL - he also does a killer Elvis impersonation for his crowd warm-up...
SNL - that's who I was thinking of!! Wasn't aware he wrote for the Simpsons though.

Cheers!

·
5,453 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
can I 'just say no' to television in general?
NO!! Don't you know that TV is the man's way of programming your mind to bend and conform to his smallest desires!! Can't believe you resist! You will be assimilated! :borg: You don't understand the power of the dark side! :violent1:

But on the other hand. How can you watch TV when you're either at work, shedding, or on SOTW? Sides, most of TV is so boring nowaday anyway. In other words, this is your mind w/o TV ---- :toothy7: . This is your mind with TV ---- :compress: :cyclopsa: :shaking2: :sick: :sleepy2: :tongue9:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Carl H. said:
Which late night network talk show band do you like the best?

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I'd have to say Paul Schaffer and the CBS Orchestra is my favorite. There is so much intelligence, tongue-in-cheek and humor in what Schaffer plays. He's so damn quick, too, providing an impromptu accompaniment, or "dialing music" for Dave.

Maybe it's also that Paul Shaffer has been in my consciousness for like 30 some odd years...Remember the skit on SNL where Bill Murray was the lounge singer at Meatloaf Mountain? "Star Wars!!! Nothing but Star Wars!!" His accompanist??! Paul Shaffer.

I sometimes watch the show and key in on Will Lee's playing. He has always been a favorite bass player of mine way back to the days of the early 70's Brecker Brothers.

I think my preference in band has something to do with my preference in show (and host). My current favorite "bit" is "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches". I have always found Leno kinda un-funny and forced. I have dug Letterman for close to thirty years, going back to when he had the daytime show. Anybody else remember that show?

The few times I have heard the Max Weinberg 7, I have liked them. I love Max's playing and his kit is a nice object lesson for kids who think they need a million toms in their kit. He makes a ton of music on his minimalist kit. It's just on too late for me to watch regularly to get familiar with the band. I did, however, go to a taping of the Conan O'Brien Show in 1998. His guest that evening was Halle Berry:D :D It was cool to hear the band play the full tunes going in and out of commercials. It was weird at the end of the show, you know the part when you're watching at home and the credits are rolling and the band is wailin'.... As soon as the director signaled that they were "clear" the band just stopped... really unsatisfying and bothersome (to me anyway)...
:twisted:

Steve

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,199 Posts
Dog Pants said:
We only get Letterman down here. Who's Conan Obrien?
Conan Obrien is funnier than H.... Dog, you'd really like him, I bet. Also the Max Weinberg band is fabulous. They have a great sax player and trumpet player, and guitarist. Actually all the band members are excellent and I really like the tunes they do. Too bad you can only hear a few seconds going into & out of the commercial breaks. Every now & then they give us a bit more. But only hearing a small portion of a tune is really frustrating.

·
Registered
720 Posts
what would happen to this poll if the "Saturday Night Live" band was added to the list.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts