Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,572 Posts
It's a late model 'Crat, so more akin to Bundy. Not really 'on the edge', by 363,XXX or so they had already been dumbed down

You can do an online search for Buescher sax serial numbers, if you are looking for a 'Crat which was an upper-shelf model in its day, it'd be a series III or earlier and have a serial which is around 350,XXX or lower...although the very first series IV's (350-359ish) were pretty darn close to their immediate predecessors, too...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Even though this one is theoretically (just) before the 'Selmer US' buyout, I wouldn't want it if I definitely wanted a pre-buyout top-of-the-line one. Why? Because it has features that are associated with the post-buyout - in particular its nickel-plated keys. Screams out to me: "not a pro model". Also, terrible cosmetics. Just sayin'.

But for the record, the post-buyout carried on largely as before with the same tooling and workers.
[Edit: Interesting point JayeLID raised about them being 'dumbed down' even earlier]. Cheers...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Even though this one is theoretically (just) before the 'Selmer US' buyout, I wouldn't want it if I definitely wanted a pre-buyout top-of-the-line one. Why? Because it has features that are associated with the post-buyout - in particular its nickel-plated keys. Screams out to me: "not a pro model". Also, terrible cosmetics. Just sayin'.

But for the record, the post-buyout carried on largely as before with the same tooling and workers.
[Edit: Interesting point JayeLID raised about them being 'dumbed down' even earlier]. Cheers...
Dexter Gordon played a MK-VI with nickel plated keys. Not a pro model?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's all in your head. There a some student horns today that don't have nickel plated keys, would you view them as professional models? I read somewhere that Selmer issued the MK-VI with nickel plated keys for military band use. Same horn, just a different look.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's all in your head. There a some student horns today that don't have nickel plated keys, would you view them as professional models? I read somewhere that Selmer issued the MK-VI with nickel plated keys for military band use. Same horn, just a different look.
Yep, but I reckon not just in my head. And yep, those clever churn-out makers finally worked out that all-lacquer is the way to go for their cheapies (to properly mimic expensive ones). Cheers...

·
Registered
835 Posts
The saxophone grows on you..its different in its looks!!!..Rather like the spray painted bundy!!...This is unique in its look..I wonder if it could become collectable
The main reason the answer is no is that there's too many of them around - many in much better cosmetic condition. Simple economics: supply is greater than demand = little competition = low value (relative to the same model with serial numbers below 350k). Sorry about that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The main reason the answer is no is that there's too many of them around - many in much better cosmetic condition. Simple economics: supply is greater than demand = little competition = low value (relative to the same model with serial numbers below 350k). Sorry about that...
Yes mate...I'm listening..you are correct..I won't buy it...I think I'm due a visit to the states and pick up something good!!!!..thanks for the input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe a late fortys early fifthties chat would be a good idea. Maybe similar to my recent purchase 51 aristocrat...
Wood Television Rectangle Flooring Gas

Andy, btw, what are they asking for it?
(Am I right that they're trying to sing its virtues, but want you to ignore its vices?)...
£650 brenton....he's an old boy ..ex pro clarinets player that I bought the alto from. He's an honest man and is 77 and selling his instruments. He has good 10-10 band h clarinets...maybe the tenor was his least used instrument

1 - 20 of 23 Posts