Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Status Report:

After four years or so I’ve (finally) begun to make some meaningful improvement in my playing.

Sure, I’ve always been improving, in a sense, since starting out. But I really feel like I’ve just recently turned a corner overall. Articulation, breath support, embouchre, intonation, timing, rythym, reading, theory, improvisation etc. All the pieces are starting to fall into place and work together better than ever, or perhaps for the first time.

Don’t get me wrong, I am still on the path to attain mediocrity one day. But after long bouts of asking myself “will I always suck on this thing?” and wondering if it is worth all the bother and effort, I finally feel like I am beginning to get somewhere.

Spent yesterday playing tunes (Work Song, and other Hal Leonard playalongs) and soloing over the changes in a much more rhythmic and fluid manner. Far from perfect but man oh man what fun to be able to do today what I couldn’t do the day before. And looking forward to tomorrow . . . .

Still many more miles to travel down this path, but it finally feels as if I am off the treadmill and am making meaningful forward progress. At last. Joy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,442 Posts
Well congratulations! Your years of patients, practice, perseverance are paying off.

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well congratulations! Your years of patients, practice, perseverance are paying off.
Thanks all!

Indeed, had I not had a lot of patience, I would likely be a (mental) patient myself.

But had I practiced more assiduously, I’d probably not have had to persevere for quite so long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts