Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
WOW! Nedo Carli has one of the Fattest sounds that I've ever heard! A real pleasure to listen too.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Nedo Carli has one of the Fattest sounds that I've ever heard! A real pleasure to listen too.
I agree, he plays a Conn Chu berry one of the best sounding saxophones ever made :)

Stan

·
38,888 Posts
I have the feeling that you might be partial to Chu Berries.........did you you know that Chu Berry didn't play a Chu Berry?

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the feeling that you might be partial to Chu Berries.........did you you know that Chu Berry didn't play a Chu Berry?
Ah... right, you mean the official name was New Wonder II
Anyway I personally play with a New Wonder I.
I have two of them :) maybe I should sell one....

Stan

·
38,888 Posts
No, he actually played another type of sax altogether

from saxpix

"......"Standard" New Wonder models: (Discussed on this page.) These are instruments with "standard" Conn engraving (one of about four "standard" designs, ranging from just "CG Conn, Ltd." to the very elaborate) and without additional pearl keytouches on side keys. These horns are sometimes called "Chu Berry" horns, but they shouldn't be: Mr. Berry played a "transitional" model tenor........."

from Wikipedia

"........"Chu Berry" is the unofficial name[10] of a series of saxophones produced by the C. G. Conn company during the 1920s, though it is slightly more accurate to refer to those saxophones as the Conn 'New Wonder' Series II. Even then a significant degree of ambiguity remains. Firstly, C.G.Conn never used the term "Chu Berry" to refer to any of their saxophones. Furthermore, Berry actually played a model of tenor sax generally known as the Conn "Transitional",[11] and is not known to have ever played a New Wonder Series II.[12] Some saxophone owners (particularly on eBay[13]) use the term "Chu Berry" in reference to any Conn saxophone made between 1910 and the 1930s - including soprano, alto, baritone and C melody saxophones, none of which Berry habitually played. Unfortunately, the term "Chu Berry saxophone" is misleading because it has no universally agreed definition, which easily causes confusion. To non-experts the Conn New Wonder Series II looks similar to the New Wonder Series I or the "New Invention" model of circa 1910. To further complicate matters, between 1930 and 1933 (approximately serial numbers 244700 to 256501) Conn manufactured a significant number of Conn "Transitional" (or cross-over) models. These so-called "Transitional" models combine some features of the New Wonder Series II with the Conn 10M design - in varying percentages. Sometimes the differences are obvious e.g. some Transitional models have split bell-keys compared to others with the single-sided 10M bell-key layout.[14] However, with some Transitional saxophones the differences are quite subtle (closely resembling the New Wonder Series II) and therefore require detailed background knowledge to correctly identify them. As a result, the official Conn model names used by the manufacturer are preferred, because there is a clear definition and therefore the possibility of misunderstanding is reduced........."

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I didn't know it... so he played a transitional. What a pity, he should have played a NWI :D, I have just finished practicing and every time I play it I can't belive it plays sooooooooooo good.

Stan

·
38,888 Posts
maybe he did play a NWI but didn't like it :)

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The greatest saxophone player of the past always played the most recent (at that time) available models, they didn't know the earlier where even better :D

Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts