Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share. I bought this because it was in pristine condition. Just now getting around to a quality rebuild. The shop said they believe its original lacquer, and based on the action, just hadn't been used much. Case, mp, strap and lyre all original too. It plays wonderfully. In comparing with my Yamaha, its a little throatier, maybe darker? The biggest surprise, is the action is actually as fast and light as the Yami, maybe moreso, the Yami is great condition too. Gotta love those lacquered, pointed key cups, soldered tone holes, and the wire guards. Just another testimony, that they really were making great horns by modern or any standards.

View attachment 235692

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Indeed the '50s HN White Clevelands are wonderful.

I have the tenor version, mid '50s with the marching hat and crossed drumsticks engraving.
The tone hole chimneys of these '50s Clevelands are quite thick and silver soldered to the body tube, as are the Zephyrs and S20s.
Slick key work too, well set up.

Fab tone and a hard value to beat, especially one in the condition of yours.
Great score!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed the '50s HN White Clevelands are wonderful.

I have the tenor version, mid '50s with the marching hat and crossed drumsticks engraving.
The tone hole chimneys of these '50s Clevelands are quite thick and silver soldered to the body tube, as are the Zephyrs and S20s.
Slick key work too, well set up.

Fab tone and a hard value to beat, especially one in the condition of yours.
Great score!
I've got an early Eastlake 615 as well, which put me in the mood for a similar alto. These really are good horns. Clevelands are my favs of the second line models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This post caught my eye- I similarly picked up a silver + gold wash Cleveland alto on ebay a few weeks ago and won it for about 200 usd including postage.

Body is perfect and the silver is coming up beautifully. Tone holes are soldered on, and in the case was an old Henton mpc with the metal table which is VERY closed.

S/n is 49xxx and the seller told me it's from1950 but the split bell keys have me confused.

I've stripped the keys and am about to order white roo pads (not sure about which resonators to use, didn't have any- advice anyone?) but would love to know people's thoughts about this horn. Clearly a king but it kind of looks like an early voll-true from pictures I've found.

Anyone? Any info would be great. The plan is to repad it and use it for party gigs where I'm worried about my mk6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts