Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am working on the Larsson Concerto and I was reading that the trills in the first movement are actually flutter tongued. Are their any other misprints? Also, in regards to the slap tonguing that Rascher does in his recordings, since it is different everytime, is there a certain place that we have the liberty of choosing where to slap? Thank you all.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've heard a variety of stories on the slap-tongue and flutter-tonguing in this piece. From what I can surmise, Rascher likely did different things every time he performed it, and the final published version may or may not completely recognize how he performed it. I think that technically you could be correct by either trilling or by flutter-tonguing, same with the staccato/slap-tonguing. I realize that is kind of open ended :).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have heard from many teachers that the trills are meant to be flutter tongue. After hearing the piece in performance, working on it, and performing it myself I think the trills sound out of place with flutter tonguing sounding better. The slap-tonguing is something that is up to your own interpretation IMO. Rascher changed it quite a bit with each performance. Personally I play most of the tones with a more percussive articulation but not slap tongue. The other thing that is important to remember in those sections is to correctly play the sixteenth notes giving them the appropriate rhythmic value and not elongating them. I personally play them a hair shorter than indicated to emphasize this.

I recommend you get as many recordings as possible of the Larsson concerto and find your own interpretation. There is also a great website made by saxophonist Anders Ludegard that includes some history behind the work, and analysis, and much more information. http://www.classicalsaxophonist.com/thesis.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts