Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bari player and I just got a recording of Lars Gullin. I really like his sound and I was wondering if anyone knew his setup or where I could find it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,752 Posts
Seems like he used a Low B VI and a rubber berg.

I'm sure about the VI, but not 100% sure about the Berg.

Lars was tremendous, wasn't he ?:)

Bob Gordon was another one; but there's not much available w/ him soloing.

·
4,752 Posts
Bob Gordon played with people like Shelly Manne, Jack Montrose, Shorty Rogers.

He died in 1955 in a car accident(not uncommon for jazz musicians then ..)

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
any info on Bob Gordon's setup? I have the double cd "Quintet/Sextet". I think he has maybe the nicest bari tone I have ever heard, an incredible player.

·
4,752 Posts
Actually, I think I remember reading he went to a Dukoff late in his career; yes.

I was thinking of his earlier 1950's 60s recorded output, re: the metal Berg

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Pepper used a balanced action bari w/ a berg and from 1980 til death used a low Bb VI and a dukoff.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,878 Posts
The last few years of Pepper's life, he played a Lawton...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
He did use the dukoff in '80 when he got the VI according to his intervwiew w/ sax journal. Guess the dukoff didn't work out and he switched to a lawton.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
In a Downbeat interview he described how his Berg got so pitted it was unusable. He said that he was (at the time) playing on a Dukoff D6, "but I'm not sure I'll stick with it."

If you listen to "Urban Dreams" you get a double-edged sword: it was one of Pepper's best albums in terms of his playing but he's playing the Dukoff and sounds quite thin. He was playing a Lawton by the time he recorded with Kenny Wheeler on "Conjuration" and beyond.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts