Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether this is normally the case. When you go for higher baffle mpc's do you prefer a larger tip opening or not, and why?

I have 3 Lambersons (J7, L7 and SB7) all of the same opening. The J and L are dark mpcs, but the SB7 is too edgy for me with not enough core tone. I'm wondering whether an SB8 or DD8 would be a better bet.

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Because from what I know a larger tip is more easy to play with a high baffle --- I used to play a guardala mouthpiece on alto that had a VERY high baffle and a very high tip opening but it was so easy to play because of the baffle . but everyone has different opinions

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Yes, the general consensus is that larger tip openings are preferred for higher baffled pieces. The reason is that the higher baffle narrows and focuses the airstream once inside the mouthpiece. This increases the speed of the airstream, but it decreases the volume or amount of air that can be inside the mouthpiece at any given time, thus creating a "closed" feeling. Naturally, this is remedied by opening the tip. That's why the standard Guardala Super King tip is somewhere aroung .140", whereas the standard Link tip is a mere 6 or 7 (.090"-.100").

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
renaissance_man said:
Yes, the general consensus is that larger tip openings are preferred for higher baffled pieces. The reason is that the higher baffle narrows and focuses the airstream once inside the mouthpiece. This increases the speed of the airstream, but it decreases the volume or amount of air that can be inside the mouthpiece at any given time, thus creating a "closed" feeling. Naturally, this is remedied by opening the tip. That's why the standard Guardala Super King tip is somewhere aroung .140", whereas the standard Link tip is a mere 6 or 7 (.090"-.100").
This is an excellent description...

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Super Kings are more like .120". I think visualizing the fluid flow is OK for some of what is going on. But it is more of an acoustic thing. Open tips are darker and louder. Adding baffle offsets the darkness. It is the way the sound reflects off the baffle surface and the reed. See Ferron's book for a few simple illustrations of this.

Air speed is only a factor for setting the reed in motion and sustaining the standing wave. A high baffle makes the reed speak easier, so you can play more open tips easier with a high baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Ken said:
I was wondering whether this is normally the case. When you go for higher baffle mpc's do you prefer a larger tip opening or not, and why?

I have 3 Lambersons (J7, L7 and SB7) all of the same opening. The J and L are dark mpcs, but the SB7 is too edgy for me with not enough core tone. I'm wondering whether an SB8 or DD8 would be a better bet.
If the SB is too edgy, why worry about the tip opening? Going to a larger tip opening will change the way the 'piece blows but the core tone will remain much the same. The DD is only going to accentuate the problem.

If you don't believe me, call or write Fred for his recommendations. He wants you to play the piece you need.

FWIW, I have owned and played most models of Fred's tenor mouthpieces. I love the L and J models, cannot find anything I need with the SB or DD. I have a Fmaj7 (new tenor model that's a little darker than the J) on the way.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks. Looks like I will have to try a DD or SB8 one of these days. I may ask the man himself too.

I think the reason I didn't like the SB7 as much was that I got used to the J. I was hoping I could switch between the two depending on the acoustic situation, but it doesn't look like this works because they are not the same blanks (SB is much slimmer) so it takes some shedding time to adjust.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Ken said:

Thanks
I would consider getting the baffle on the SB7 lowered a little. I had one that I felt was too edgy and I sold it. I have had a hard time finding anything since and regret not having the baffle lowered a little. I have a feeling it would have worked nicely if altered a little. Oh well.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts